A busy day scheduled on Wednesday, April 3, during Ohio State’s Time for Change Week, April 1–7, including free chances to exchange your single-use plastic shopping bags and water bottles for better, reusable options.
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Exchange your old plastic shopping bags for a reusable tote so you can send fewer or ideally no plastic shopping bags into landfills (or, worse, into trees, rivers, lakes, or oceans). Details. (Full disclosure: My family changed to using reusable grocery bags a year ago. It took a week or two to become a habit. I find it feels good in terms of conservation, cutting unnecessary waste, and aesthetics—the bags, when full, are more pleasant, or at least less unpleasant, to lug into the house, and we don’t have to deal with the post-shopping pile of empty, clinging, crinkly plastic bags.)
- 11 a.m.to 2 p.m.: Exchange your single-use plastic bottles, test your recycling know-how, and take home a throwback reusable Nalgene bottle—for many of the same reasons as for changing to reusable shopping bags. Details.
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Hunting is Conservation: A talk on the benefits of hunting and how it can help promote conservation and wildlife restoration. Panel discussion featuring Gabriella Hoffman, a hunting and conservation journalist; Bruce Tague, vice president of government relations for the Columbus-based Sportsmens’ Alliance; and Bob Gates, professor of wildlife ecology and management in CFAES’ School of Environment and Natural Resources (SENR).
- 1–2 p.m.: “Focusing on Us: Talking About Social Sustainability”: Discuss the social element of sustainability with members of the Ohio State student group Net Impact and SENR lecturer Joseph Campbell.
- 3 p.m.: Lens on the Border Gallery: Featuring photographs from the landscape of the U.S.-Mexico border.
- 5–6 p.m.: Ice Cream Conversation: “Media, Consumers, and Sustainability.”
- 7–8:30 p.m.: TEDxSalon: ImPLANT: Featuring innovations in and the importance of bio-based products and how they can make the world more eco-friendly.
Find full details, including the week’s schedule at a glance. (Photo: Getty Images.)