Columbus Metro Parks: Part 2

One of the things I love about Columbus is how you can go from being downtown to the middle of a tranquil field or forest by driving no more than 15 minutes in any direction. Throughout medical school, residency, and fellowship at Ohio State, I have drawn so much of my wellness through time in nature, specifically our Metro Parks. We have more than 20 Metro Parks here in Central Ohio with free trails and activities accessible all year long.  My advice: Make the map below your checklist and see them all before you graduate from your program! Check out the link to find the park and activity right for you: https://www.metroparks.net/ 

Here are some of my favorites: 

1. Glacier Ridge Metro Park – This is hands down my favorite park. I thought first year of Gastroenterology fellowship would be a great time to start running half marathons (!?) so Glacier Ridge was my training grounds. Not only does it have miles of safe trails, but it also has a horse-back riding trail, dog park and new playground. 
  2. Scioto Grove Despite living in Columbus most of my life, this park was new to me, and I am sure glad I discovered it. Not only can you hike its expansive and picturesque trails (#ForTheInstagram) but you can canoe and even participate in a free archery program sponsored by the Metro Park. It also has a beautiful venue space for retreats or receptions. 
  3. Scioto AudobonThis Metro Park is one of the closest to OSUWMC. After work, I have been known to just run south until I make it to Scioto Audobon. It has a beautiful view of the Columbus skyline and is a great place for picnics with family and friends. 
  4.  Highbanks – Throughout my training, many of the organizations with which I am involved including Women in Medicine, Humanism in Medicine and our Residency wellness retreats have been hosted here. Highbanks has beautiful trails, equally as fun to hike during the hot summer or snowy winter. There is a Nature Center in the heart of the park where you can learn more about the native wildlife #lifelonglearning 

To learn more about our Metro Parks or all things Columbus and OSUMWC, email me at antoinette.pusateri@osumc.edu or follow me on Instagram @APNDMD.