Columbus Metro Parks Part 1

Are you are looking for something to do year-round that doesn’t require reservations, money, or really anything other than comfy clothes and shoes? Check out the amazing Metro parks system (metroparks.net) and other beautiful parks in our area!  

I love to be outdoors when I’m not in clinic – it’s as good for my mental health as it is my physical health. Over the past two weeks I’ve visited The Park of Roses (parkofroses.org) (where I sniffed many fabulous roses) and Batelle Darby Creek (where one of my kids and I enjoyed a two mile hike, saw a herd of bison, and pet all sorts of local fish as well as pelts from local beasts), and another kid took a class to collect data on pollinators and where they are to track our pollinator populations in central Ohio. Everything was free, and no reservations were needed for anything other than the class. Programs for all ages include everything from aquatics to arts and crafts, earth and space, night hikes, photography, plants, and much more. When the kids were young I’d sign up for free classes to keep us all occupied and sane (IYKYK) and was grateful for the fabulous staff and interactive events in locations where we could spend a couple of hours exploring. I now enjoy going back to these spots with my teens and exploring in a whole new way!  

Looking to meet new folks with similar interests? Looking for an interesting place to spend time with your friend/family/date/yourself? There’s archery, backpacking, biking, boating, canoeing, kayaking, cross country skiing, day camps, disc golf, fishing, fitness, golfing, horseback riding, ice skating, mountain biking, traditional and natural play areas, nature centers, nature preserves, obstacle courses, picnicking, rock climbing and sledding… all available through the Metro Parks website which is remarkably easy to navigate. 

Bottom line, check it out. You won’t regret it 😊 

By Sarah Jonaus, Associate Professor General Internal Medicine