Kayla Boggess: No Voice Goes Unheard

By: Miranda Koewler

After gushing over the possibility of a reboot of our shared favorite show, The Office, Kayla Boggess opened up about her time at Ohio State and her journey to discover more about her family history.

kayla boggessMiranda: What are you studying and why?
Kayla: I’m majoring in industrial and systems engineering with a minor in American Indian studies. I took engineering classes in high school and knew I would love the topics, as long as it was not mechanical engineering. In my major, we take most of our classes together, so we are really close knit.

My dad’s side of the family has an expansive American Indian heritage, and growing up, I learned a lot about the traditions and culture. My sophomore year in STEP, I was encouraged to get involved with other students with similar backgrounds.

What are you involved in on campus and in the Columbus community?
I’m in the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) where I hold a position on the planning committee for the regional conference next semester. I’m also involved with the American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES). With this group, I’m working to create support for women in these fields through diversity and inclusion.

What are three words that describe you?
Talkative, for sure. I love to share about myself and be with other people. I could go on forever about the things I care about. Also, optimistic. I strive to find the light in any part of life. No matter the situation, I trust that things will work themselves out and everything will be okay in the end. Lastly, outgoing. I love meeting new people and learning about them. I feel like I could talk to anyone. With that, I’m always looking to try new things and experience the most that I can.

Why do you think it’s important to create support for women in STEM fields?
It’s incredibly important to make sure that everyone has a voice and that they’re able to use it no matter who they are. I have been in various situations where I have been looked at differently because I am a woman. Either I won’t be trusted when giving my ideas, or others will take the credit for them. These are such male-dominated fields, but we are working on being a part of the conversation and showing just what we can do.

Recently, my mom and my friend went to a conference where they learned about promoting the female voice in the workplace, so I’m bringing this idea to campus. I’m utilizing the groups that I’m already a part of to bring unity and support under the idea of diversity and inclusion within engineering.

You also took on a project to trace your family tree. What has that journey been like for you?
Last semester I spent a lot of time looking into my family history on my dad’s side. I’ve always known that my family traces back to Chief Red Cloud of the Cherokee people because we have newspaper articles and original headdresses, so this is where my research began. I worked closely with my family, especially my grandparents, to connect everything as much as I could.

This was quite an experience, and I loved the way it brought my family together. These stories represented a different time and place in history that I became so fascinated with. My dad and grandpa recently went to the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota where Red Cloud lived. The craziest part of it is that all over the country, people are learning about Red Cloud and the traditions of my family.

How do you see these aspects of your life influencing your path in the future?
As far as my Native American side, I’ll continue to become more attuned to my culture and use it as a way to promote diversity and inclusion. My major has helped me form long lasting and meaningful relationships. I’ve been able to understand more clearly what it is I want to do. My most recent internship has shown me that I love working with the idea of continuous improvement when it comes to processes of people. I really like taking things apart and making them better.

What advice would you like to pass on to your fellow Buckeyes?
Get involved early and don’t be afraid to reach out to people. Adding differences into your life can help you to shape your views or even validate the ideals you already possess.

2 thoughts on “Kayla Boggess: No Voice Goes Unheard

1. Inspiring and thoughtful answers. Continuing the tradition of OSU’s female engineers making a difference and caring enough to do it.