Nastaran Navari: Changing the World, One Person at a Time

By Miranda Koewler

I recently sat down with Nastaran Navari to hear about her incredible journey to becoming an Ohio State student. Nastaran’s kind heart will change the world some day. I hope you find as much inspiration in her story as I have.

Nastaran NavariMiranda: What are you studying and why?
Nastaran: Neuroscience. I think it’s one of the most interesting subjects out there, and I like that it allows me to combine biology and psychology. I’m fascinated by how all the pieces function together to define things like human behavior and disease. Ohio State has a really great, young program with a ton of room for growth, so I am excited to see where it can take me.

Tell me about some things you are involved in on campus and in the community.
I used to live in Iran and received some education there. So, coming to the United States, I definitely felt a culture shock considering I did not know how to speak English. Once I came to campus, I joined the English Conversation Program (ECP). It was my first home here. I was able to meet more international students and grow individually. Eventually I earned a chair position where I have one-on-one interactions with students. I also am involved with Global Leadership Initiative that fosters global citizenship and allows me to meet and help others with multicultural backgrounds.

What are three words to describe you?
Hardworking. I receive good grades but that is simply because I study hard. It’s difficult to have a lot of communication back home in Iran, so I find strong relationships in the faculty here that have helped to push me and learn about myself. Learning English was also incredibly difficult, but I was determined to be successful.

I would consider myself a risk-taker. I try to challenge myself because I learn a lot from the experiences. Challenges make me more mature and allow me to know myself better so that I can further help others. If you want to help others, it starts from your heart.

Thirdly, adventurous. Life is multidimensional and putting yourself out there to try new things is where it all begins.

Can you give me an example of a time your sense of adventure led you to try something new here at Ohio State?
Last semester I joined Scarlet and Gray Financial Coaching. This is an area completely out of my major. I thought it would be a way to help my parents in Iran and other international students at Ohio State. I was on my own here for six months so I became knowledgeable about how to handle it all, and Ohio State offers so many options for information and help.

How have you grown through experiences like this?
I am proud I chose Ohio State as my home, but I was truly afraid when I first came here. I have learned about my passions and aspirations during my time here, specifically about the importance of diversity. You simply cannot define people until you know them. I don’t think I will really ever stop growing or learning.

Can you tell me about the people who have inspired you?
My mom always encourages me to believe in myself and guide with my soul. She tells me to try everything and that nothing is out of reach. Because of her influence, I participated in a symposium about the evolution of women’s rights. It allowed me to pay tribute to the people who help me.

My uncle came to the United States as a teen during the conflict between the U.S. and Iran. He used his will power to make it in this country. I am inspired to be strong and push through any obstacles because of him.

How has all this helped you on your journey to better the lives of others?
I look at people around me to see what is important. I try to eliminate the challenges to make their lives a little bit easier. I volunteer at the hospital, so knowing other languages is one small solution to some of the problems. I use my experiences as a way to share lessons with others, and this process allows me to grow and mature.

Where do you see yourself in the future?
I want to be a doctor, but I am focused on living in the present. Being a student is a job that allows me to learn so much. These experiences help me to be patient, communicate with others and find compassion. No matter what I do, I want to bring happiness and a feeling of security to others.

After all these unique experiences, what advice do you want to pass to your fellow Buckeyes?
Take challenges head on! Be yourself and get rid of the idea that you have to fit in with everyone else.