Caroline Gonzalez Takes On the World of Local Politics

By Miranda Koewler

caroling gonzalezI sat down with senior Caroline Gonzalez to hear about her personal journey as a Buckeye. I was inspired by her drive and passion, and I know you’ll find her story just as fascinating as I did.

Miranda: What are you studying and why?
Caroline: Political science and economics. My interest with politics started when I was young. I lived across from Villanova University and a local park. The university wanted to turn this park into a parking garage. My parents and neighbors teamed up to prevent this from happening.

Tell me about some things you are involved with on campus and in the community?
I came to Ohio State not knowing a single person. Luckily, the Morrill Scholars Program built a foundation of peers that helped me find my place. As a sophomore, I was elected as a Senator for the South Campus Living Area for USG. This was an incredible experience, but I later decided to step back from USG to focus on my love of local politics. For the last two years, I’ve worked with a consulting firm helping with local elections. This job gave me the opportunity to branch out from Ohio State and find my place in a great political city.

What are three words to describe you?
Resilient. Politics is messy. You’re forced to face lots of losses. This tends to discourage people, but I keep working through it all because this is what I love.

Optimistic. I try to stay calm when times are tough. My ideas and goals are clear, so I’m able to keep my head up and look to the future.

Focused. I juggle a lot in my crazy life. I work in admissions, conduct behavioral economic research and take my academics very seriously. My focus and drive help me to balance all these things.

How did your passion for politics begin?
I dabbled in the 2008 campaign, but during my sophomore year of high school, I became more involved. I was president of the Young Democrats club in high school. Local volunteers inspired me. They hosted gatherings to make phone calls, constantly worked on fundraising and had debate watch parties. It was a community. Before I could even vote, I worked at the polls. This is kind of where it all began.

How have your experiences as a Buckeye shaped this passion?
I knew I wanted a school in a big city, but I never considered the effects of being in the capital of a major swing state. It’s a welcoming place that offers me experiences unlike any other, which has shaped me for my approaching career.

Oftentimes politics has a negative reputation. What keeps you involved?
I have learned to understand people from different perspectives. You have to realize that the stereotypes about political workers are not true. I’ve found an inspiring community with role models who have changed my life; my motivation really comes from them. All you need is hope and optimism. I simply believe in what I do and what it can do for others.

In your bio, you mentioned returning to your hometowns of Philadelphia and Miami. What is it about these two places that appeals to you?
I grew up in Philly and love the history and culture of the city. Last summer, I interned with the Governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf. I even worked on the floor of the DNC! This was a crazy and exhausting experience, but it reminded me why I do what I do. I hope to return to help my hometown because I have such a strong connection with it.

Miami, on the other hand, is seen as a vacation destination. As a Cuban American, I appreciate its diversity and Cuban influences. While it has a lot to offer, it needs help. There are problems with corruption, the recession and the environment. These problems are not being addressed, so I want to help make it better.

Tell me about some role models who have inspired you.
I love to see a great candidate, watch them succeed and do good in the community. I look to people who break boundaries. In Columbus, I have found motivated women who support one another. My first year, I met my boss at the consulting firm who took me under her wing. Also, my parents of course. I did not see too many people in politics growing up, especially not women. To see them get involved in the community was awesome.

Based on your various experiences, what is one piece of advice you would pass on to your fellow Buckeyes?
Don’t be afraid. I knew absolutely no one when I came here. Morrill Scholars is a great program and allowed me to take opportunities to get the most out of this school. When I was looking for an internship, I just ended up calling the Governor’s office to see if they needed help. It comes from never doubting myself. I don’t wait for something to happen, I make it happen.

2 thoughts on “Caroline Gonzalez Takes On the World of Local Politics