Module 5

This Ted Talk explores the phenomena of prejudice and raises the question of it can ever be a good thing. Paul Bloom suggests that prejudice cannot be inherently bad because it is natural and manifests itself in us even before we can be exposed to societal pressures. According to Bloom, we have prejudices against people who are not like us and this is normal. We tend to prefer those who are from the same country as us, like the same foods as us, and look at us. But Bloom also recognizes that prejudice can have deadly effects when subjects such as race are considered. He concludes that it is our reason that keeps our prejudice at bay in these situations.

Ultimately, I disagreed with most of what Bloom concluded. His insights seemed flawed to me in the sense that it seems that if prejudice is an inherent trait of outs, we must be inherently morally wrong. Something that I dont believe can be the case. However, this talk did help me better understand this topic because it would seem that its not that we are born with prejudice, as Bloom suggests, but that we are exposed to it through our own families and that is the way in which it manifests.

One thought on “Module 5

1. Hello Heaven,
    I enjoy reading your post and I am also a big fan of Ted Talk. What makes Ted Talk so special is the way they deliver the information. They spent hours just to practice on their public speaking skill. Ted Talk can be really opinionated but it is a good platform for us to learn about new topic and develop our own argument.