Module 5

Excelling in college and getting good grades is more than just showing up to class. Although making it to class while the rest of your peers spend their morning recovering from the night before is a huge accomplishment, simply being present does not guarantee you are actually learning! The biggest takeaways from this module are the tips on active listening and better note taking. There are many ways to take notes, but its not a secret that some are more reliable than others. Simply recording everything you hear does not help you understand the material better. Something that is essential if you want to minimize the amount of review you have to do before a test. Therefore, my suggestion is to print out the powerpoints your teach posts online (if available) and take them to class to take notes directly on (Slide 3 from Lecture)! This way you do not feel pressured to record everything on the board, since it will be right in front of you, and you can instead focus on listening to the professor teach and recording your own mental notes along to way for future reference. This ties in the idea of active listening! When you simply record everything the teacher writes down you are not hearing the small hints they may say in between slides.

One thought on “Module 5

1. Hi there,

I enjoyed reading your blog! I am going to start printing out power-point slides the night before and write my notes upon them – that is such a great suggestion. Active listening is so important, and it is something I can find to be challenging as I can hyper-focus on making sure that I am writing down my notes. I am sure that I have been missing some “subtle hints” as you thoughtfully mention, so thanks for the advice.