G.O.A.L.S

The term G.O.A.L.S. was adopted by the Ohio State University’s Honors and Scholars program to serve as a reminder of what we, as students, should be striving for. Each letter stands for a concept that the University finds important. Utilizing all of these concepts will help create well rounded individuals that will make not only the Buckeye Nation proud, but also the world. Here I will outline what each concept means to me.

G: Global Awareness

To be globally aware means to be curious and open about the world around you. Everyone is different and those differences deserve to be celebrated and embraced. I am proud to say that Ohio State is brimming with diversity and that is what makes it so unique. We are known for being an huge community that touches every country and every continent and they legacy could not have been achieved without being globally aware. I came from a small town where everyone thought and looked the same. I had never been exposed to real diversity until I came to this University. My time in college has provided me with a desire for knowledge of others and an appreciation for culture.

O: Original Inquiry

To me original inquiry means that you should never stop questioning the world around you. Nothing new or exciting happens from being complacent and excepting things for how they are. As a student, and more importantly a life long learner, we should always be questioning why, how, and what. This University has the resources to solve millions of questions whether it be through research, creative expression, or education. Original inquiry is a reminder to use them every chance you get.

A: Academic Enrichment

This one might seem obvious and rather simple at first, after all we are in college pursuing an education. That in itself is academic enrichment. However, this concept is asking us to dig deeper. Academic enrichment is a reminder to stop and think about why you are here. Why are you pursuing an education in the first place? It’s easy to put your nose to the grindstone and forget what you came here for. In my case I came here to follow my passions which include animals, equality, and science. I desire knowledge for these things and these things are driving me to my future. For me, becoming a veterinarian is the goal and I have chosen to pursue things I love to get me there. I am so thankful for the opportunity to gain knowledge through higher education.

L: Leadership Development

I have a burning passion for leadership. I love to challenge and better myself as a leader. It is honestly one of the most important things to me. My love for leadership is a huge part of the reason that I chose this program because I knew it had something to teach me. I was extremely involved in high school and I knew things in college were going to be different. The biological science scholar program helped open the door for me to become involved in other things including the Animal Welfare and Behavior Club and ROMOPHOS. As a scholar I know that I am held to a higher standard. I am expected to be a leader, in fact I was selected because I had the potential to be one. The beauty of leadership is that it isn’t a one size fits all. It comes in all shapes and sizes and because of this my quest of becoming a leader will never be truly finished. I am learning every day and I can’t wait to see where it takes me. I have met some truly amazing leaders and they inspire me to be a better version of myself each and every single day.

S: Service and Engagement

The most valuable thing you have in this world is your time. Because this is your most valuable possession there is no better gift to give. I personally believe that is only right to give back to your community and to those in need. The best way to do this is through service. Treat others as you wish to be treated. In terms of engagement, a community is a wonderful resource to have for several reasons. It always you to network and the bigger your network is more opportunities you will have. Secondly, relationships are important for social well being.