Constru Casa in Antigua, Guatemala

For the Buck-I-SERV trip I attended over this past spring break, me and 10 others worked collectively to help build a house in Antigua, Guatemala through the non-profit organization Constru Casa. We worked with local masons and the family that received the home to construct a safe and efficient place in a fairly impoverished area. Outside of the service aspect of the trip, we also had the opportunity to explore Guatemala and learn more about the culture and history of the country.

Initially, I was not expecting a lot going into this trip. I thought we were going to build a house and that was it. I was very wrong. I had no idea about all the culture and new perspectives I would gain in only seven days. I had never travelled out of the country, let alone to a third world country. To see first hand the poverty that consumed most of the country, and interact with the people who experienced this everyday of their lives, was truly life changing. And yet they were so happy with what they had, and even gracious to make sure we were provided with anything we needed. Coming back home, I knew I wanted to take those qualities with me and be more grateful and caring towards others.

Not only that, but I also got to see first hand the impact our service had on the family. They helped us every step of the way with building the house. I was inspired seeing girls half my age do twice the work I could do. They worked hard and always showed us patience and kindness. You could feel the sense of community, and that the house being built would not only help one family but also everyone in the surrounding compound.

As for the kindness and generosity, I saw this most in our home stay with the mother of the house, Elvera. From the moment we stepped off the bus in Antigua, she showed us compassion and generosity. We had only known her for seven days, but by the end she felt like family. She cared for us like we were her own children and made us feel safe and at home in a country we had never experienced. She was selfless with every member of our group and helped us learn all we could about Antigua (and she cooked us the most amazing meals).

Another interaction that changed my perspective was when I passed by a mother and her 4 year old child asleep on the side of the street. Earlier that day, we had seen them coming up to us on the street trying to sell us necklaces and hats. This was hard to see because the children on the street did not go to school to get an education, have a place to call home, or have a bed to sleep in at night. Poverty in Guatemala is extreme and this effects the availability of children to get an education. It made me grateful for my home and the education I am able to receive.

Also, I am currently minoring in Spanish. I was looking forward to learning the language in a native speaking country, however I was not expecting all the knowledge I would be able to gain. All of the people we tried to speak Spanish to were so patient with me and the rest of my group. Even though most of them were multilingual and also spoke English, they still helped us and just appreciated that we were trying to learn their language. Furthermore, I had the opportunity to learn about the Guatemalan culture, something we do not get to spend a lot of time on in my Spanish classes at Ohio State.

In my future, I hope to one day become a physician. I plan on embodying all the things I have learned on this trip and carry them through my journey to a career. The best way to treat patients is to show them compassion, patience, and look at them with an open mind. Not only have I found a change in how I view the world, but also my passion for service and helping others has grown tremendously. I hope to take this and find other opportunities for me to make an impact in not only America, but also around the world.

One thought on “Constru Casa in Antigua, Guatemala

1. Hi Amy,

Thank you for sharing this reflection about your experience in Guatemala. I really appreciated reading what you took away from the kindness and hospitality of the people you met there, especially your host family. It sounds like an awesome experience!

I am glad you were able to serve in a meaningful way, and learn a lot in the process.

Best to you in all things,

Caleb – STEP Team Member