Molly Skerbetz’s STEP Adventure-Biloxi, Mississippi

1. Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project. Write two or three sentences describing the main activities your STEP Signature Project entailed.  In my STEP Project, I traveled to Biloxi, Mississippi, in order to perform community service projects for the community. I cleared water habitats, assisted a classroom for low-income children, and picked up tree shrubs.

1. What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP Signature Project? Write one or two paragraphs to describe the change or transformation that took place.

While on this journey, I learned about my career interests in the human services core area. As this trip had strong emphasis on learning about the environment and sociological factors, I participated in leadership roles that could potentially be a position that I could be working after I earn my Masters’ in Public Health. I learned that I am interested in working in a hospital setting in order to assist in assigning treatments for patients who are in need of healthcare plans.  This transformation occurred when I was assisting in helping the teachers designing educational plans for the children. I can use these applicable skills of planning in the hospital setting as I design programs for people who are in need of help.

What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in #2, and how did those affect you?  Write three or four paragraphs describing the key aspects of your experiences completing your STEP Signature Project that led to this change/transformation.   The events that I experienced throughout this week made a significant influence on my career choice. Before beginning the service trip, I knew that I wanted to do health administration, but I was unsure of which area of public health that I wanted to work in. As I did service work in various areas of public health, I learned about which areas of public health that I am interested in. From working in the nursery centers, I learned that I wanted to work in the hospital setting because I want to be able to help people who are in need of stronger health care programs. These stronger health care programs would help give people stronger resources for education and health sources.

My relationships with my trip leaders have also made my experience transformational. While learning about their career paths in engineering, law, and nursing, I became inspired to learn about how these careers can create a better society. I learned that engineers can make a healthier community by designing community resources that are clean and sustainable to the town. These community resources can help economically create a town that is clean and manageable to travel in. Lawyers can create policies that are fair to the citizens of the town and to its environment. Nurses can apply biological implications to the town and to its health resources. Learning about these professions have motivated me to understand that public health is a broad and flexible field that is applicable to the daily lives of everyone.

A final aspect of this trip that transformed me was my interactions with the citizens of Biloxi. While interaction with the citizens of the Biloxi, I leaned about the damage that Hurricane Katrina that I did to Biloxi. This increased my awareness on the community and to its lack of resources. This motivated me to create ways on how to improve communities that are struggling with lack of health care. When I get a career in public health, I want to develop plans on how to deal with communities that are recovering from weather damage.

4.Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your life?  Write one or two paragraphs discussing why this change or development matters and/or relates to your academic, personal, and/or professional goals and future plans.

This change made me aware that there is poverty in various parts of the country, especially in parts of the country that I affected by damage.  As I am passionate about traveling and service opportunities, learning about these opportunities have made more aware of the world around myself. As I intend on participating on participating in future service trips, I intend on learning more about community problems, including communities that have been hurt by economical problems.  I believe that every citizen has a right to a healthy life and to equal health care opportunities