STEP Reflection – Undergraduate Research

Gantt_STEP_Image1

Gantt_STEP_Image2

Over the past couple months, I have been conducting both remote and in-person undergraduate research relating to the intervertebral discs of the spine. The goal of the lab I am a part of is to improve low back pain and restore a diseased disc to its healthy state. One of the main tasks I have been working on is composing a review of current literature regarding annulus fibrosus (AF) cell culture techniques, more specifically pertaining to specific components of the culture and how the cells react to them. I then performed an in-depth analysis of the results that I constructed in my preparatory tasks of compiling summaries of the literature sources I found. I created a few schematics as well, demonstrating what the AF and its cells look like.

To accompany the tasks associated with the literature review, I have been assisting my lab supervisors and mentors in ongoing projects within the lab, focusing on the IVD’s nucleus pulposus (NP), AF, and cartilage end plates. (CEP) We all got along very well and developed strong relationships over the course of my STEP Signature Project.

While completing my STEP Signature Project, I came to realize that I am capable of overcoming many obstacles in life, while remaining focused on my work and studies. Every person has their ups and downs, and I find it inspiring to watch people continue to excel at what they love to do while battling adversity. Throughout my STEP project, I had things attempt to draw my attention away from my tasks, but I did not let them hinder my progress or quality of work. I think that this is a great skill to possess in life as we all know how unpredictable life can be.

Another understanding of myself that I came to realize was how passionate I am about the musculoskeletal system and the human body in general. One day, it is my dream to have a profession in the field of medicine. I aspire to apply my love for medicine to help the people around me in my everyday life, and that is one of the many reasons that I want to attend medical school and become a physician. Conducting undergraduate research over the past year and a half has only reinforced my love for the human body, and more specifically the musculoskeletal system. It is truly unbelievable how many mechanisms and pathways there are for just the intervertebral discs in the spine, and it truly sparks my curiosity and passion to be a part of trying to solve the large puzzle that is the human body.

There were many things that led to the transformations I mentioned above. One of the most important aspects is the strong relationships I have with my principal investigator (PI) and lab members. Throughout my project they were very supportive of me and my work. This support and encouragement that they provided me with helped me to the realize how much I enjoy being a part of the research community, and more specifically a member of their lab. In addition, my PI and lab members taught me how to stay on top of my work and effectively perform quality research activities. With their support, I was able to realize my full potential as a student and researcher, as well as know that I am capable of overcoming many difficult obstacles.

The multiple lab meetings that I partook in each week taught me how to successfully present my work and research-related findings in a professional environment. Knowing that presenting and public speaking was one of my biggest weaknesses, it was very relieving to know that I was able to overcome this obstacle with the help of my STEP Signature Project. Also, from composing my literature review, I learned about the time and effort that goes into composing a scientific publication. It is a long process that incorporates the use of many key characteristics one should possess in life including persistence, patience, and commitment.

Partaking in the various procedures and protocols with my lab group led me to realize that I really like to perform hands-on tasks. The members of my lab have taught me how important it is to focus on attention to detail and exercise the saying “quality over quantity”. Through exposing myself to all the different literature and discovering all that the current research community has to offer on the intervertebral disc, it made me realize how a person can be great at what they do if they have a passion for it. My PI is an inspiration to me as she completes every task with so much enthusiasm and happiness due to the fact that she loves the everyday tasks associated with her profession and has a passion for the research she is a part of.

To accompany my PI, I found from my literature review that some research investigators have many publications within their area of study. This proved to me how important it is to be great at something specific you are very passionate about, and not average at a wide variety of things.

After reflecting on my project, I found the significance of the transformation that this project had on me. I tried to come to the conclusion of where I currently stand with what I want to do for the rest of my life. Upon the completion of my STEP project, I realized that I really am passionate about helping people and studying the human body, more specifically the musculoskeletal system. Putting these things together, I think that I am leaning towards becoming a surgeon. With this profession, I would be able to greatly improve the lives of people, as well as practice and study what I am passionate about.