Molly Josifov’s STEP Undergraduate Research Experience

Name: Molly Josifov

Type of Project: Undergraduate Research (glial cell lines)

OVERVIEW

My undergraduate research project was focused on establishing glial-cell specific cell lines using Drosophila as a model organism. These cell lines could be used as a model for glioblastoma in humans.

THE WORLD AROUND ME

Before participating in undergraduate research, I hadn’t really known about the scientific community out there. It is amazing to hear and read about all of these amazing people who devote their lives to expanding the knowledge of the human race. Not only that, but there are people who are dedicated to this scientific world in order to help others in the medical sense. Discovering the world of research was eye-opening.

LEARNING ALONG THE WAY

My mentor in research, Dr. Amanda Simcox, has inspired me because of her passion for research. She is constantly trying to soak up more knowledge every day. Being a member of the scientific/research community, she has been the key for me in being introduced to the community. I look forward to the rest of my time researching under her wing.

I also had the pleasure of presenting at the Molecular Genetics open house in September. While there, I was able to see what other undergraduate researchers in molecular genetics were doing. Not only that, but I was able to teach fellow students who were eager to get involved with undergraduate research themselves. This event gave me the experience that I need to be an active member of the scientific community.

The research itself has also led me to my transformation in terms of discovering the scientific community for myself. When one reads a scientific journal article, one doesn’t really know the hard work that went into the completion of the research project. It helped me learn that research isn’t easy, and that I’d have to be patient and diligent if I wanted to get results.

SIGNIFICANCE

My growth through research is very significant in my life and future goals. I will always be a part of the research community, even if only by reading what others have done. In the future, I would like to be an oncologist. The lab that I have had the honor of researching in has taught me a lot about cancer genetics, and I plan on continuing my study of cancer research in correlation with my future goal.

One thought on “Molly Josifov’s STEP Undergraduate Research Experience