For my STEP project, I completed a Phlebotomy certification course at DRM Learning Center in Lansing, MI. Through participating in the two week course, I learned the values of a healthcare worker, while mastering the skills of performing different types of blood draws and other medical lab tests. At the completion of the course, I also took a written final exam with information about working in a broader healthcare setting as well as the details of my specific skill set. 

As a student in my first semester at the College of Nursing, I originally took this class to gain the certifications to be able to get clinical experience and work in a healthcare setting while still being in school. I thought it would be a smart way to supplement my education and be a good starting point to build my resume with medical experience. Because of outside factors and COVID, I have been unable to fully work with these new skills. However, I learned much more about healthcare, myself, and what I want in my future in the class than I had expected. 

This class taught me more about the integrity and morals of healthcare workers than I had realized before. My instructor, Bernadette, shared with me her experiences of many years in different healthcare settings that opened my eyes to the diverse perspectives and opportunities I may encounter in my future. She also elaborated on the necessity of being flexible, caring, and empathetic in this field of work. Already this semester, I have already been able to carry with me the values and knowledge I gained from completing my STEP project.

In addition to learning what it really means to be a healthcare worker, I learned about the many different opportunities available for me to get a step into the healthcare field aside from being in nursing school. Before I did the research into taking this class, I thought the only way to start working in a hospital would be through going to nursing or medical school. However, I now realize there are an uncountable number of moving parts and different positions that go into making these facilities run. With this new understanding, I am excited to look into other opportunities in the future to get in extra clinical experience before I graduate from nursing school. 

Many people that worked for the training center were medical assistants, technicians, certified nursing assistants, phlebotomists, and other technically trained medical workers. Speaking and learning with them introduced me to the wide range of people I will encounter and work with in my future. I now understand that people from all different social and educational backgrounds can work in healthcare as long as you are dedicated and have a strong drive to help others. 

This class made me excited about my future because I know that I will have the opportunity to work with many diverse people, yet still have similar values and motives as them. Everyday I go to work in the future, I will get to learn from others while sharing my knowledge, skillset, and morals, as well. Additionally, I will be able to transfer what I learned from this class to help me in nursing school, and hopefully assist my peers when it comes time for us to practice phlebotomy. My dream of working in a hospital is now one step closer to my reach and I have new knowledge and experience, outside of nursing school, that can take me there.

One thought on “STEP Reflection

1. Madeline-That’s great that you were able to learn more about the different types of roles there are in the healthcare setting. It seems like you were able to gather a wealth of knowledge in just a short time period! Best of luck as you continue your work toward becoming a nurse!