Leadership experience – STEP

(Side note: I tried to add a photo and it just wouldn’t accept or upload any!)

Samuele Asfaha

Leadership

For my STEP project, I served a leadership position dedicated to empowering the youth in the community through education. I was able to provide programming for students in Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties (Maryland) in the forms of after-school tutoring, leadership development, a junior chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers, League of United Latin American Citizen councils, college preparation and drop-out prevention programs.

I learned that there are many bright minds that exist. They might not be in the best living conditions but they are definitely leaders in the making. There are so many misguided individuals in this world that only look for a sign of hope. Something or someone they could grasp on to for guidance and direction. I learned how impactful this organization is on our youth. They can start from such a young age and build to be a future leader of America. I learn that there is others just like me, who want to help and encourage our youth to strive to their fullest potential. Most importantly I learned the value of education within our youth. This is the pipeline that will build onto a life of success and accomplishments.

This opportunity impacted me by giving me confidence within the education system. It gave me the confidence to believe in those that were left with unfortunate conditions. Before this position, I had been an open minded individual. I just never knew the influence I was able to have on younger students. I have been able to come to realize that, with the motivation needed, anything is possible. As a minority myself, this reaffirms that there are no boundaries that can be set up to make you fail if you go out and get. It is all about the desire to make something of yourself.

This experience has given me the desire to continue to succeed at the rate that I do. It has been able to provide me more resources outside of the classroom in order to succeed. It has been able to push me to be even better than the person next to me because of the high academic of some the students’ and children. My life goals have been centralized. I have been able to see the motivation from my presence and want to be able to do the same to others in the near future. Seeing all those students’ heading off to college was a great moment that had shown me that I could truly make an impact on minorities.

I’ve got to say that my favorite part of this STEP project was the ability to influence the minds of individuals of all ages. Being able to have them look up to me as a role model. Having the great opportunity to watch them grow as the summer progressed. I can truly say that the experience these youth had was a meaningful one to both them and me. We were able to bond on many issues that we felt were commonplace in society today. I was fascinated by the intellect that these kids had as well as the high schools students.