FGC: Milan, Italy

1. For my STEP signature project, I participated in the “Fisher Global Consulting Corporate, Milan, Italy” program for the month of May. I worked for Safeguard Global which is a IT and HR consulting firm where we assisted in boosting their outreach to clients and applicants for their various vacancies. We also worked on improving their LinkedIn profiles and page overall.
  2. During my stay in Milan, Italy, working for Safeguard Global, my understanding of international business and cultural diversity significantly deepened. I was able to immerse myself in the Italian business environment by collaborating with a diverse team that overall broadened my perspective on global business operations. Witnessing firsthand how the Italians approached problem-solving and business negotiations between the company and possible clients challenged my initial assumptions and taught me the value of adaptability and cultural significance.My experience expanded my view of the world as I was also able to live in a new country for extended period of time and work with new people. The decisions I made and advice that my team gave at the end of the project helped me to see the great responsibility that they hold in their market. Overall, my time in Milan was a very good experience that has helped me to understand global business and the important of culture.
  3. Several key events, interactions, and activities during my STEP project in Milan led to the transformation in my understanding of international business and cultural diversity. One of the most impactful experiences was the opportunity to work closely with other Ohio State students and new people that are based In Milan with Safeguard Global. Being able to collaborate together from different backgrounds was very eye opening and helped us to come together as we all worked on our project and presentation. This environment was challenging but also very fun as we were able to have lots of lunches together and spend some time out of the office too! 

Another significant aspect of the trip was the time we were able to spend visiting the city of Milan. It was a very beautiful city that we were able to visit very well after work and on the weekends. Based on recommendations from our company we visited my historic sites, monuments, parks, and restaurants. This brought our overall group of 16 from OSU closely together as we spent a lot of time exploring together. This helped me to see various aspects of the city I would have never seen if it weren’t for my peers with me.

Lastly, I believe the weekend trip that we took to Florence had a great impact on my overall experience. We were fortunate to find a great place to stay which led us to see all of the great culture of the city. Similar to Milan, we visited many museums, monuments, and overlooks. I was able to see the cultural impacts as well as we ventured out into the hills of Tuscany for a very fun vespa tour!

4. This change in my life directly enhanced my academic, personal, and professional goals. It was my dream to study abroad at some point in my college career and this program did a great job of making that come true. I was able to understand the internation business processes of Italy and the cultural diversity that comes with it. I will now be able to continue my learns at Ohio State with new knowledge of business operations from a worldly view. 

On a more personal level, the project helped me to become more open minded and accepting of new things and adventures. I was able to navigate living in a new country along with my classmates for 3 weeks long which I never imagined would be possible. The memories I made will forever last! Professionally, I will be able to take new skills to the work force that I’ve developed during my stay in Milan. Overall, this program taught me many things and helped me become a more well-rounded business student!