STEP Signature Project: Ohio Department of Health Internship

My STEP Signature Project was an internship with the Ohio Department of Health. I had the opportunity to work with the FoodCORE team. During my internship I was able to learn about various foodborne illnesses and the common exposures that are associated with them. I interviewed patients who were reported with a positive test for a foodborne illness and gathered exposure information to aid in outbreak investigation. 

Through my STEP Signature Project my understanding of myself has changed because it gave me a new direction in my career. Previously, I was not interested in the field of Epidemiology because I was not completely aware and did not have a good understanding for what it truly is. However, after my internship I gained so much valuable knowledge about Epidemiology and public health in general. This new interest has motivated me to apply for a master’s degree in Epidemiology. 

My view of the world has also been impacted dramatically. Speaking with so many people who are in a vulnerable situation has changed the way I interact with people in my daily life. I am able to approach all situations with an understanding mindset because you never know what people are going through.

The opportunity to work so closely with experienced Epidemiologists in the infectious disease field has been the main factor that helped me determine my future steps in my education and career. With their guidance I was able to learn about public health in great depth. This included information about specific diseases, lab samples, outbreak investigations, and the work environment in general. 

My supervisor also made an impact in my experience there and my future plan. She is an OSU alum and gave me great advice about the path to public health. I was able to learn how to communicate effectively and sensitively when interviewing patients through her. Having her as a supervisor gave me the confidence to approach unknown situations with the mindset of I can learn how to handle this. 

Lastly, my interactions with patients impacted my experience the most. Speaking with people from all different age groups and backgrounds provided me with an opportunity to see more of the world than I have before. I gained a better understanding of the way people live and it has changed the way I view the world. It has also helped me become more comfortable with speaking to people outside of my friends and family. 

The change I have experienced through my STEP Signature Project is a large part of my future career and education plans. It has opened my eyes to a new field that I can pursue and given me the confidence to move forward with it. Additionally, I have experienced a dramatic personal growth. My social skills have improved and I am able to interact with various individuals in a meaningful manner.