Internship for grad school

My Step project started in May and followed my training and certification to become an STNA. I stayed in Columbus and took classes here. Now I have an internship that is essential for my grad program.

I think being an STNA and starting at the bottom of healthcare has taught me why I am doing what I am doing. Caring for people who cannot care for themselves has humbled me in ways my schooling has not. I also had to roll with the punches so to speak because my ideal job at OSU I was not able to get. I am currently employed but I needed to learn patience when it comes to achieving the best possible outcome for me. I am going to use the lessons I have acquired here for further employment and skills down the road. I am excited to say that this was a transformative experience.

The events varied for me, but I will say that a patient got to my heartstrings. Here, she said to me that I had true kindness, which is apparently hard to come by in healthcare. It touched me because that is the main reason that I want to go into healthcare. That is also the main reason that I wanted to go into PA school rather than med school. I wanted to make sure that I was not going for money or the title. I sincerely want to be the best healthcare professional I can be.

Another experience that I thought was very transformative was the fact that I work with people that this is their full-time job. The job is stressful, demanding, and does not pay well. All of that being said it is so interesting to see workers come in every day with a smile and ready to help these patients. It is inspiring to see these patients being cared for by people who love what they are doing.

Lastly, my teacher for the SNTA class was an influence on me. She left her full-time job to teach this class about the importance of being an STNA. What I liked about what she had to offer was an experience she had in the field. Also, she taught us how everything should be done. It was nice to see the importance in doing something right. She was knowledgeable in infection control and patient’s rights.

Relating to my academics, I am very grateful for the skills I have learned and the people I have met along the way. As I said before, being at the bottom of the totem pole in healthcare humbles you. Seeing first how important patient care is I am so much more ready for PA school. I learned that it is not entirely about the medicine; it’s about the people too.