Grace Miehls

Internship

1. My Step signature project consisted of an 8 week internship in Sydney, Australia. I worked for a company called Wrays as a marketing intern.

2. A lot can change in two months within your own personal knowledge, perspective, and behaviors. While being abroad in Australia, my perception of my own capabilities changed. From succeeding on a project at my internship, to personal challenges like conquering canyoning, I discovered capabilities I didn’t know I had. This opportunity to leave America pushed me so much further outside my comfort zone than I thought possible, but I grew in so many ways.

My view of the world also transformed. I learned that there are so many things I do not know about other countries cultures and habits. I learned how to fit in like a Sydney local, and meet so many people from different cultures, backgrounds, and personalities. I have a much deeper appreciation of the world now, and I can truly understand how big it is. Being halfway around the world and working in a different country challenged my every move to adapt and grow. I am so beyond thankful to have had this experience because I loved every second of living in a place as special as Sydney.

3. In regards to my personal growth throughout my project, I owe it to my job, and the culture of Australia. This was my first internship, and I was beyond excited to be challenged. When I was assigned different tasks or projects, for example I had a marketing internship so I worked on social media and communicating with others, I learned how to communicate, use my resources, and ask for help as I worked with a fellow intern and employees in different sectors of the company.

My freedom to explore the city on the weekends allowed me to travel far and wide to find all the must-sees of Sydney. I went surfing, canyoning, hiking, and saw every beach I could get to. After learning how to properly navigate a city, I was able to explore farther and farther as the weeks passed. With all these experiences under my belt, my perception of how beautiful the world is has grown tremendously. Every day I would discover new places I wanted to go and things I wanted to see. As time dwindled down I was able to reflect on all the amazing places I’d been. This allowed me to appreciate my incredible experiences that much more. I am lucky to have gone abroad doing an amazing program.

For the most part, it’s the little things that have stuck with me in Australian culture and behaviors. Their accents, their humor, and their kindness made the trip very enjoyable. I will never forget their hellos or “g-day’s,” and I will cherish their friendships forever. Because I travelled halfway around the world on my own, I was able to make friends with the other students from Ohio State, and carry those friendships back home. My coworkers made me excited to get into the workforce, and ready to pursue my career.

4. These transformations I have had helped me understand what kind of career I want to have, where I want to work, and where I would like to travel. When you are put in such an unfamiliar place, you are able to learn a lot about yourself. The positive changes I have seen in myself like my understanding of other cultures, and getting a taste of the work force, are important in pursuing future personal and professional goals. I now know I want to work in the fashion industry and would love to travel back to Sydney to experience the culture again. If I had not gone abroad I would not have discovered my passion to work and my love of Australia. I am so thankful for my Step signature project and the opportunities that are soon to come!

Below was a weekend well spent seeing the Opera House!