Step Reflection (Fisher GPP)

Step Reflection

Ethan Shust

Project type: Internship

I used the Fisher Global Project Program for my step signature project. Through the GPP I went to Stockholm, Sweden for the month of May to work as a student consultant for BSH (Bosch and Siemens Home Appliances). We worked about 40 hours a week but we still managed to use our free time to explore many aspects of this new country.

Throughout the course of the project I noticed many transformations that included my understanding of myself, my assumptions, and my view of the world. Before completing this project, I thought I had a pretty good understanding of myself but I knew that I was conflicted about what career I wanted to pursue after college. I’m a marketing major but before this project I hadn’t been exposed firsthand experience of what someone in marketing would do after college. However, after completion of my STEP project I can confidently say that I am excited to pursue a career in marketing and I enjoy the day to day work. I can say this because our project at BSH had a heavy marketing focus and I found myself thoroughly enjoying all aspects of it. Before going on the project, I assumed that businesses would be ran very different in Sweden than in the United States. Throughout the course of the project I found this belief to be wrong, in fact working at BSH felt very similar to working in America. There were some differences, for example when proposing marketing tactics, we had to remember that what are considered ‘acceptable norms’ in Sweden were not the same as in America. In conclusion I now have understand that businesses are run very similarly around the world, and a factor in this may be because so many businesses operate on a global level. Finally, completing this Step project really transformed the way I see the world. This project was only my second time leaving the country (the first being in Japan for 8 days) and at the beginning of it I saw the world as a vast place with many different types of people and environments. This belief held true my first few days in Sweden, however, throughout the 4 weeks we got to know the Swedish people on a more personal level and it made me realize how similar we are at our core. This changed the way I saw the world because I now feel a stronger bond with people from all over the world and I understand that even though we may speak different languages or act different on the surface, on the inside we share common beliefs and morals, as we are all human beings living on the same planet.

For the transformations I explained above, there were key events, relationships, and activities during the project that lead to them. The transformation in my understanding of myself and my career I talked about came through working on marketing material every day but I experienced other self-transformations as well. Stockholm was a very large and busy city, one day I decided to go on a run through the streets and during my run I realized how much I liked living in this new place and I really enjoyed how busy and active it was all the time. Throughout the stay I noticed myself begin to try many new things and branch out more than I usually do. I think knowing that my time in the country was limited pressured to make the most of every day and take advantage of every opportunity which in return transformed how I acted and looked at life.

The relationship that had the biggest impact on me was our relationship with our advisor at BSH, Tilda. From the start Tilda was very welcoming and helpful to us, but as the trip went on she made it clear that she not only cared about the work we were doing, but also about our experience in Sweden. She advised us on many fun things to do in Sweden and one night she even invited us over her house for dinner! The dinner at her house was one of my favorite experiences from the whole trip and talking to her and her family is when I made the realization that people from all over the world are very similar at their core, and this transformed how I see the world today.

We did many activities throughout the project that transformed my views in one way or another. There were many museums in Stockholm and one of my favorites was called “Vasa” and housed a 17th century Swedish war ship. The ship is the oldest of its kind remaining and even older than the United States, but was preserved underwater for hundreds of years as it sunk on its maiden voyage. Exploring this museum made me realize just how much history our world has and made me eager to keep exploring the world and learn all I can from our past

The transformation my step signature project provided me has been significant for my future in numerous ways. In general, I believe one of the keys to living a happy is loving who you are as a person. Every experience in life allows you to better learn, know, and shape yourself to reach this ideal state, and my STEP signature project was no exception. In terms of my academics, as I stated previously this trip was valuable in solidifying my confidence that I chose the right major and creating excitement towards my future. Personally, this trip helped me to grow out of my shyness both socially and professionally as well as teaching me to make the most of every single day. And finally, Professionally, this project taught me first-hand what it is like to work in marketing on a corporate level. But that’s not all, it showed me how business compared on a global level and taught me valuable skills with regards to working on a team, consulting, presenting, and living in a new country.

The Sweden team on their first night in Stockholm

One of the lions that guards the Royal Palace in Stockholm’s Old City

One thought on “Step Reflection (Fisher GPP)

1. Ethan I loved reading about your experiences in Sweden. It is great that you learned that businesses are run in similar ways in the U.S. and in Sweden and that you interjected that with the importance of recognizing that there are different norms in Sweden. I also appreciated reading how you focused on making connections and searching for the many ways in which human beings are similar during your education abroad program. I’m also glad to know that you feel even more confident in your decision to pursue a career in marketing.