WWCD102.5 Marketing and Promotions Internship

1. Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project. Write two or three sentences describing the main activities your STEP Signature Project entailed.

This internship was within the Promotions and Marketing Division of the Columbus local Rock Alternative Radio Station, WWCD102.5.  Throughout this experience, I completed various tasks to develop not only my contacts within the radio and music profession here in Columbus.  Weekly I would do things such as write PSA’s, create and organize complex excel spreadsheets, directly interact with employers and customers organizing and throwing events, as well as many other related activities involved with the organization and communication within the independent company.

1. What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP Signature Project? Write one or two paragraphs to describe the change or transformation that took place.

Going into this experience, I thought that I had the general idea for how things were going to be.  The main purpose of this experience in my eyes was to see and understand what being at a workplace that was small and independent from larger corporations was like.  One of the biggest things that I had the biggest impact was how close of interaction I got to have with people that had been involved with the station for longer than 35 years.  The environment pushed me to be creative in ways that my brain was not used to, and that was thinking in a way that would please the public.  Creating convincing messages to sway the listeners towards going to a certain event either the station or a business customer was putting on.  A lot of editing and thought was dedicated to creating as perfect of a message that we could.

With the help of other, more experienced, interns as well as my advisors I was able to fully utilize my time to create the best experiences for customers as well as network effectively with the team I was with.  As my minor is Music, Media, and Enterprise to my Marketing Major, this internship really helped me develop professionally in a small section of the Columbus business world.  It really showed me how the jobs that I would be involved in are more than office jobs but a hands on experience that all levels within the company interact with.

1. What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in #2, and how did those affect you? Write three or four paragraphs describing the key aspects of your experiences completing your STEP Signature Project that led to this change/transformation.

One thing that I really liked about this internship was that every week was different.  We would have weekly, set office hours, but also every one or two weeks there would be an event that myself and other various interns and advisors/top marketing people would attend.  These events specifically led to some really awesome experiences that I feel really showed me that Marketing and Promotions is something that I could see myself doing as my profession for a good part of my life.  The people I met through this internship has definitely influenced the way I perceive the professional world as well as my viewpoint on where I want to see myself in the future.

One particular experience that I had that I felt really showed me the power of promotions was at an event that we were working that took place at the Gateway center.  Live music was happening outside and a crowd was gathered to listen to said music.  Myself and a few other radio station employees were there, broadcasting straight from Gateway onto the radio station for an hour and then after that just interacting with the crowd and making sure everyone had a good time.  There was a particular little girl who kept coming up wanting to play the games that we had at our booth.  Of course, we were very nice to the girl and she had a big smile on her face the whole time.  The mon of this girl came up and she looked like she had tears in her eyes, she thanked us for being so nice and patient with her daughter as she has severe autism and most people would just dismiss the girl.  Seeing that emotion that I could evoke from just being a good person and making that young girls night a better night really showed me that even the smallest actions can have a large impact on other people, and that really is the magic of marketing and promotions.  The direct and indirect interactions that can occur between a business and its customers can make a huge difference and impact on people’s lives.

One person that I had the pleasure of working closely with was the head of the Promotions team, Antonio Arellano.  Having worked for the radio station for over 10 years since he graduated from Ohio State with a Communications major, he has had an enormous amount of experience within the industry.  He has worked closely with numerous different types of clients including various management teams from other business, famous or local bands and music artists, conventions put on in Columbus, and many other types professional interactions the head of a promotions and marketing department would have to be involved with.  Working closely with Antonio made it so he was able to show me how to handle day to day issues as well as specific, client based issues.   He was able to teach me essential on-the-spot critical thinking skills by asking me how I would go about solving an issue before he gave his input on how to solve something.  This kind of work was exactly what I was looking for and Antonio really had me step up to the plate and demonstrate what I had to offer.

Overall, my experiences through working the various different events as well as the people I was able to share those experiences with have helped me discover more what I want to do with my future.  It has showed me that the typical, nine to five job is not something everyone must have.  There are plenty of jobs out there that are essential and still enjoyable to have.  Having a hands on work experience as well as direct customer-provider interaction has proven to be an extremely enjoyable work experience that I now know I would like to seek out in the future when looking for a full time position within in a company.  This does not mean I am not opposed to the typical nine to five job, however I now feel a lot more confident in my abilities as an employee to handle the type of jobs that would be more than just sitting behind a desk.

1. Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your life? Write one or two paragraphs discussing why this change or development matters and/or relates to your academic, personal, and/or professional goals and future plans.

Going into this I had little to no idea as to what I wanted to do with my life nor the different types of work experiences I could search for post-college life.  My real goal for this internship was to not only challenge myself, but explore an opportunity that I felt was unique from the typical internship.  The knowledge and experience that I gained from embracing this internship has overall shifted the direction in which I see myself pursuing a career in the future.  On a more personal level, this internship challenged some major insecurities I had about my personality involving interacting a lot with people I did not know and also pushing myself outside of the creative box.  I never thought I was the best at working in high stress situations with people I did not know very well, but this internship taught how to manage to do that.  It definitely created the foundation for me to continue to work out my interpersonal skills.

This internship has overall changed me in so many ways.  It has helped me develop my skills professionally and personally, and has helped immensely when it comes to making decisions regarding my future career path.  I now have a broad understanding of what I like and dislike within a workplace environment as well as the types of businesses that I would like to see myself working with in the future.  CD102.5 has truly helped me feel like I have many different possibilities for my professional future that I could also end up being very happy with.

One thought on “WWCD102.5 Marketing and Promotions Internship

1. Hi John, I’m Aaron and I reviewed your post. Thank you for sharing about your moment with the little girl. That was a lovely story.