Amanda Conaway

Summer Global Internship Program in London, England

My project was an 8-week long unpaid internship in London, England. This is part of the Summer Global Internship Program through Fisher College of Business. I worked from Monday-Friday 9am-pm performing Sales and Marketing activities to help my company, Flame PR, gain more clients.

There were so many eye opening experiences during my time in London that I know would not have been possible if I did not go abroad this past summer.  I have learned a lot about myself in that I love to see new places and meet new people and that I am always aching to do more in reaching my goals. I learned that I am not comfortable being comfortable and any chance that I get to do something I have never done before I take it.

This experience abroad has taught me to appreciate different cultures as well as appreciate where I came from. I have seen so much of the world that I never knew was out there and that was very eye opening for me. Working and living in a different country changes your perspective on various situations. I learned to work with people of all different backgrounds and was able to adapt to an environment I was not used to. Ultimately, I learned to live in the present and enjoy my life that I have while I am living it. This summer completely transformed me as a person and I know that I have grown so much in the two months I was abroad which I owe all to Fisher and the STEP program.

Each day I would wake up, get ready for work, and take the bus to and from work. I had a routine down that made me feel like a London native. Being in a city for two months really teaches you to use the public transportation systems which I had not known how to do before. It teaches you to have independence and learn how to navigate cities you have never been before. By the end of the trip I was able to navigate the Tube system and the bus system like I had been living there my whole life. Being able to do that was a huge accomplishment in itself.

Flying to different countries on the weekend also made me a lot more independent and time conscious. I was able to travel to Barcelona, Copenhagen, and Amsterdam during my time abroad which also influenced my transformations. Each city was completely different from one another and different from what I was used to back in the United States which was very eye opening. I learned to appreciate these new cities and always looked forward to getting up each day to experience something new. This trip was filled with first time experiences for myself and I knew each day would be different. I stayed in Airbnbs and hostiles which immersed myself even more in the cities. I learned to try new foods and navigate through cities that did not have English as their first language. Traveling was a huge part of my transformation.

This internship was with about fifty other students from Ohio State which was part of the best experience for me. Having like minded people on this trip made me change my perspective on relationships I have had. I learned how to meet new people and have gained so many new friendships because of this trip. There was nothing more refreshing than being able to experience new cities with other people who were in the same position as myself. I learned to live a little bit more by trying to new restaurants and going to see new places because these people pushed me to go out and try new things.

My transformation from interning abroad has made me think in a way I had not before. I know that I can do anything that I put my mind to and there are no limits in trying to reach my goals. I was able to adapt to living and working conditions completely different than I was used to which is huge in the real world after college. This internship experience will open so many new opportunities for me because I was able to get work experience in my particular major. The next summer I hope to use the skills I have gained to obtain a paid internship with a big company. Going abroad to intern is also a huge differentiator among my peers which could help me stand out among recruiters.

Ultimately this has been a personal transformation for myself in that I know that I love traveling and would love to see more of the world. I think that being exposed to different cultures and working in different environments opens up your eyes in a new way and understand that everyone is different. This summer has been the best summer of my life and I can say I was the happiest I have ever been in London which carried on after returning to the country.

One thought on “STEP Reflection

1. It’s awesome to hear that you are comfortable taking risks. Furthermore, it sounds like you developed greater cultural competency and independence as a result of this experience. I’m glad that you also connected with people who contributed to this transformational experience!