What my internship has taught me–Xinyi Wang

I was doing a summer internship in Chicago through the Summer Global Internship Program offered by Fisher. During the internship, I mainly worked as an Executive Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer of the company. Some of the activities I have done during my two-month here included: building the Partner Compensation Model and the Pricing Template for Portfolio Managers, creating deals for specific Portfolio Managers, preparing research reports and participating in prospecting and marketing activities

I always wanted to experience how it was like to work in the United States, a place full of opportunities and possibilities, and this internship helped me to get the entrepreneurial experience by working closely with my experienced supervisor. Here’s what he has taught me to become successful in my future career path:

The first key to success is to have flexibility dealing with the changing environment. In the book “Who moved my cheese?” the author uses a simple parable to reveal profound truths about dealing with change so that you can enjoy less stress and more success in your work and in your life. He addressed how important it is for you to change when things get change, and adapt yourself accordingly.

The second key to success is to have the interest. As he mentioned, there are three questions you need to think before accepting a job offer: “Where do you want to work?” “Who do you want to work with?” and “Where can you find your success?” “Don’t just work for money,” he said, “you can’t be successful if you don’t have interest in your job.” He left the company where he had worked for more than ten years when the company’s culture which he liked was changed. Now he is still working in the same area which he is passionate about, but what’s more, he is working with the right people and building the right company culture.

The third key to success is always showing your opinion. This is also part of the constructive suggestion he gave me. I was involved in many useful and meaningful meetings, but I hardly joined the discussion or asked questions. “Don’t fear to add your value to the meeting,” he said, “you could always provide us with a different perspective.”

People asked about the plans you have for the future all the time. My supervisor told me that he believed “Where do you see yourself in five/ten years?” was the silliest interview question. Just as my first point, everything keeps changing every moment. You’ll have to make decisions that might have big influence on you at any point. If you were to ask me one thing I’ve learned from this internship, I understood that the opportunities need to be seized and decisions need to be made throughout my life. I understood that there was no point to be afraid and myself needed to be trained to adjust to this changing world.