Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project.

I interned with elected Member of Parliament Charlie Angus. I studied his position, assisted in office management, wrote policy memos, conducted research, and attended meetings for and with MP Angus.

What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your
view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP
Signature Project?

I personally went through a transformation in the sense that I realized what my true passion lay in. I was a World Politics/Anthropology major before my project, and by the end I was fully committed to the idea of transferring to the Glenn college of Public Affairs and becoming a Public Management, Policy, and Leadership major. The work involved in public policy seemed to come almost naturally to me, as my first assignment went overwhelmingly well. I received praise from MP Angus’s Members Assistant who oversees all drafts of policy memos, which cemented my decision to make this major change.

What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP
Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in
#2, and how did those affect you?

This transformation was brought about through my close proximity to public policy work in the office of Charlie Angus. Much of what I was instructed to do while working for MP Angus focused on researching certain bills, proposals, and policy theories. This constant proximity to public policy work caught my attention immediately, and prompted me to question whether or not I was going into the correct field. In part I lay the sole reason for this life change on the work proximity, however several people assisted in pushing me towards making this decision.

First of all my boss, MP Angus, was instrumental in this change. He went out of his way to mentor me and provide me with time to discuss my goals and future plans with him. I cannot express how grateful I was to be able to pass my plans and goals by an elected official of Canada, as his perspective was utterly priceless. He suggested I make short term achievable goals to help me get the ball rolling, and from there I can set my sights on larger more complex goals. I made my short term goals graduating with a degree in Public Policy, and working on the campaign of a gubernatorial candidate for the Ohio 2018 Gubernatorial Race. I have since achieved one of the two goals, as I now work as an intern for Betty Sutton, soon-to-be the new Governor of Ohio (or so I hope). These goals would not have been made if it were not for Charlie.

Additionally, Charlies Members Assistant (MA for short) was an incredible mentor. At 26 he wasn’t much older than myself, however he possessed a job that I wanted more than anything else in the world. He taught me the intricacies of the public policy world and provided me with the educational tools I needed to work on Charlies public policy memos. His direct mentorship was crucial to my decision to change majors.

Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your
life?

This transformation has severely effected my life, in that I have an entirely different career path to consider now. I originally intended to go to Law School, potentially traveling to the Netherlands and finding work with the international courts of the Hague. I now find myself intrigued by the thought of staying in Columbus after graduation and working on local public policy through working with the Governor of Ohio, the Statehouse, or City Council. This post-graduation work would provide me with excellent experience in the field of local politics and local policy work. After this I could go back to school for a Graduate Degree in Public Affairs/Public Policy and work State level public policy.