Finance Summer Internship

Name: Dean

Type of Project: Internship

This summer, I had the opportunity to complete a 14 week internship program with Key Bank. My internship was as a management associate in Key Bank’s Management Associate Rotational Program. Over the course of my 14 weeks in the program, I rotated to multiple Key Bank locations throughout the Cleveland, Ohio area. At these branch locations, I was given the opportunity to work closely with Key Bank personnel. Some of the employees that I worked with were branch managers, financial advisors, mortgage officers, personal bankers, and bank tellers. I was also given the opportunity to work with other interns in the same program as me. The other interns and I were able to shadow the different Key Bank personnel that I mentioned above. I learned many new things in the financial services industry. Finance and economics are my majors at The Ohio State University; therefore, this internship was very helpful in showing me the kinds of work that I could be doing in my future career in the financial industry.

At the beginning of my internship, I was very shy. I did not ask a lot of questions to my supervisors and also did not talk to many of the other interns. I soon realized that if I wanted to be successful in this internship or in this particular field I was going to have to let my personality shine. I would need to be outgoing and let myself be comfortable with being uncomfortable. Eventually if I were to put myself out there, I would hopefully have a successful internship and learn many new things. As the weeks went on throughout the internship, I began to become more and more comfortable with the other employees. I was also given the opportunity to work as a bank teller and interact with clients.

I learned that in any situation in life, if you put yourself out there and ask as many questions as possible you will benefit. Because I eventually became comfortable with reaching out to the other employees, they were able to build relationships with me. I felt like some of them took me under their wing and truly wanted me to succeed at the internship. It was a good feeling knowing that because I showed an interest in others they also took an interest in me. My biggest transformation from this internship that I can see is that I now feel confident talking to professionals in any atmosphere. I will not be afraid to go to the career fair and share with the recruiters what I have to offer to a company.

The reason why I was able to successfully realize that my personality and level of comfort can contribute to my success was because of the relationships that I was able to build with some of my coworkers. Certain people that I worked with were so invested in me and truly wanted me to succeed. Once I found similarities with some of the other workers and learned their story, I was able to feel comfortable with them. I was also given the opportunity to have one on one sessions with the branch managers that I visited. Receiving advice from someone who has knowledge in your field is a great way to learn how to take on the right tasks to have the best chance at succeeding.

As mentioned above, I was also given the chance to bond with some of the other interns. There were a total of seventeen of us. We were all spread out at different locations across Cleveland, but we still were able to find the time to meet with one another whether it was at meetings or for lunch or dinner after work. We were able to participate in service projects together which were good bonding experiences. We participated in an event to clean up a local neighborhood in downtown Cleveland through landscaping. I now know sixteen new people that go to colleges all throughout the state of Ohio. The relationships that I have built with some of these people at my internship in just a short fourteen week period have been strong. I was at some bank locations for as little as three weeks, but when I left I felt like I had been working with the staff for months.

The transformation of becoming more outgoing and comfortable with myself in new situations that I am put in will be something that will benefit me for the rest of my life. I now feel like I can go into any situation that I find myself in and start up a conversation with someone about anything. As long as I am able to find common ground with an individual, the conversation can be endless. Overall, I had a very interesting summer internship. I learned a lot of things not only in the financial industry but also about myself. I look forward to going back to work for Key in the summer next school year and plan on reconnecting with so many of the great coworkers that I have met this past summer.