Broadway Video Internship

I was a post-production intern for Broadway Video for my STEP Signature Project. This was honestly the opportunity of a lifetime, and I wouldn’t have been able to do it, if it wasn’t for the STEP program. For two months I served as an intern for a crew of people that have their hands in productions affiliated with NBC, CBS, ABC, Netflix, and so much more.
During my time, I had basic intern duties. I brought people’s lunches to their suites, I answered phones, and I delivered things across New York City. On days where there wasn’t too much going on, I was given the opportunity to sit in with some of our editors and watch them work their magic.
The biggest thing this internship did for me was develop a network. My LinkedIn practically doubled in connections when I was done. I’m Facebook friends with a lot of these really cool editors, colorists, and sound-mixers, and I didn’t have that 3 months ago. Thanks to this opportunity, I now have contacts in the city to help me find a position after college, if needed.
My favorite part was learning what working in post-production is actually like. I saw editors in action. I learned different techniques used in the software. I even got to put my input into some of the choices made for things that actually aired on TV (I mean they were only ads, but still!) This was great because I was nervous that I wouldn’t fit in in post. I’ve always thought of myself as a pre-production and development type, but I found that post is a lot of fun. It opened a few doors in my mind on what my possibilities are. This is even going as far as me applying to offices for post-grad, that I honestly wouldn’t have considered myself able to do. I found confidence in an area that was unknown.
Getting several opportunities for one-on-one connection with the staff allowed me to develop deep relationships with the professionals around me. You’d be shocked how eager people are to help teach someone something new. Most of the time, I’d just walk up to somebody and be like “Do you have a minute for me to sit in and watch you work?” and they’d be thrilled.
I always kept a positive attitude when walking into the office. I could have been having the worst day, but the second I walked in it was just kind of like “Wow, I’m really here,” and the day would be better. Constantly reminding myself of how great an opportunity like this was, made the opportunity better. It went from “yeah I’m sorting some tapes today,” to “Oh my gosh I’m holding the original audio recordings of Carrie Fisher’s episode of SNL!” That did happen, by the way. Not everybody gets to do something like that, and remembering that made me eager to learn more. I got complements on my ideas and led mini projects to keep the office running. One time my fellow intern and I posed for pictures in the audio booths to show clients what it would feel like to work in the studio. Every week had fun perks like that. It was work, but not the kind that made you feel like you were working.
So that was the upside of this experience. I can’t lie, there was a down, and to me that was what changed the most for me. I learned that living in a city like New York is hard. My job was fun and I loved my new roommates, but the place wasn’t for me. I struggled with finances. Food and travel is ridiculously expensive and I was an unpaid intern. I found out that the city can be really lonely when you can’t afford to go out every night. People think I’m crazy now when I tell them, but being there just convinced me that I’d rather be here in Columbus. So yeah, Broadway Video itself really reaffirmed that I was in the right field, but living in New York showed me that I just picked the wrong location.
This summer was so vital for me. I have connections that I never thought I’d have. One other small thing it did, was show me what it’s like living in a city that I’d romanticized my entire life. I now know that I would love to spend a chapter of my life in New York, I’m not in much of a rush to get there. What I’d like to do moving forward is apply the skills I’ve learned so far to the Columbus scene. Thankfully, I now have BV on my resume, so it should get some eyes looking my way. Every interview I’ve had has brought up so many questions about my experience, and they are impressed. Not that I’m connected to people in The Big Apple, but that I want people like that here. I want to be a part of the growth of Columbus production. I’d like to grow it to the point where students are writing blog posts like I am right now. Oh! Did I forget to mention that I met Jerry Seinfeld? That was pretty cool too.