Manhattan Sports Business Academy Internship

Name: Ryan Hines

Type of Project: Internship

The MSBA 2017 Staff

The Manhattan Sports Business Academy (MSBA) is an 8-week summer immersion program designed to identify, prepare, and connect the next generation of sports business leaders. The curriculum includes internship placement, mentorship collectives, a speaker series, office field trips, and professional development seminars. This summer I served as MSBA’s Digital & Media Intern, where I was primarily responsible for facilitating the technical setup and multimedia content capture at all MSBA events. I also assisted with digital marketing initiatives including graphic design, social media, and website management.

Although I wasn’t one of the official 25 Class of 2017 members, I still received one of the most transformative and life changing experiences I’ve ever had. Prior to this summer, I always felt that the sports industry was very surface level – that it was every man for himself and a dog eat dog world. I was nervous about entering a field where you have to know the right people to get in. I was beginning to question my desire to enter the sports industry. However, this summer changed all of that. I have never felt so comfortable with my decision to pursue a career in sports. MSBA does an incredible job of preparing and connecting you for the next step after college. Through this I have come to realize that, while it is a tough industry to crack into, there are countless people who are willing to help you and have a vested interest in your success. All you have to do is reach out and put in the effort to make connections and build relationships.

Beyond my internship, living in New York City for ten weeks was an invaluable experience. There is something about being a 21-year old kid tackling the largest city in the United States on your own that makes you grow as a person. I truly grew up and blossomed from a young man with a narrow view of the world into a young professional that recognizes and appreciates all the world has to offer.

I was fortunate enough to live with the program participants for the duration of the summer. It sounds overwhelming to live with 25 other students for an entire summer. However, it was exactly the opposite. One of the most valuable aspects of my internship was living with these 25 students from colleges around the country. They quickly became some of my closest friends and now I can honestly say they are my family. A family that understands me because we all have similar goals and passions. A family that pushes me to dream more, do more, and be more every single day. And most importantly, a family that I can lean on as we all venture through this industry together

Outside of my long work days and MSBA events, I also found time to network with people who are in positions that I hope to be in one day. I forged a relationship with Hunter Mandel from Taylor Strategy who I met on an office field trip. Hunter previously worked for Bleacher Report as a Senior Video Producer and created college football recruit commitment videos. I sat down with Rob Schlaepfer, head of Research and Insights for CBS, and learned about a potential career path that I didn’t even know existed before this summer. Lastly, I came across Michael Cappetta, a fellow a Buckeye, on LinkedIn who graduated in 2011 and is currently a producer at NBC. I reached out just praying for a response and it turned into a coffee chat, a tour of 30 Rock, and a relationship that I hope continues well beyond this summer. I can’t thank Hunter, Rob, and Michael enough for their time and the opportunity to sit down with them.

Me at Twitter’s headquarters in NYC.

Interning for MSBA was everything I wanted, but also everything I didn’t know that I needed. I formed life-long friendships with 25 extremely talented future sports business leaders that I know will extend far beyond this summer. I made connections with countless executives and professionals who can provide words of wisdom and guide me on my journey through the sport industry. I had the opportunity to visit the NFL, NBA, NBPA, Bleacher Report, The Players’ Tribune, and so many other amazing sports enterprises – all in one summer. I grew, developed, and learned more about myself this summer than I ever thought possible. I have never been more prepared and confident for a career in the sports industry than I am right now. MSBA has given me all the tools I need to succeed – now it is up to me to make it happen.