STEP Reflection- “Oasis” Album

Oasis Full Album on Bandcamp

As I reflect back on my STEP experience, I can say with certainty that it was very successful, and with the help of the $2,000 dollars I was given I was able to bring my ideas to fruition. I have always had the dream of creating my own album, but due to insufficient funds such a dream seemed out of reach. What I appreciate about this program is that the STEP faculty was with us every step of the way, making sure that we were properly budgeting the $2,000 dollars for our project. Because of this, every aspect of my project was successful.

I released my album, “Oasis” on August 15th, 2015. As of today, Oasis has a total of 2,300 plays all across Soundcloud, Band camp, and You tube. I can honestly say that without the $2,000 Step gave me, I would n’t have been able to achieve these results. Through advertisements, I was able to reach a total of +300,000 individuals on social media. How this works is that on Facebook, you can set up your own advertising campaign. This campaign allows you to choose the amount of money you want to put down, the areas and individuals you want to target, and the duration of the advertisement. I strategically manipulated these parameters in order to get the best results. Although the results could have been better, I am glad it turned out the way it did.

With the rest of the STEP money, I purchased a new bass guitar, and some studio monitors. I play bass for my local church on Sundays. The issue was that I didn’t own a bass of my own, so I relied on the churches bass. Now that I’ve purchased my own bass guitar, I can play bass at various locations across the city, and I am no longer limited. The studio monitors I purchased were KVR Rockits. These are known to be top notch studio monitors with a flat frequency. This means that the audio you hear from the speakers is accurate and clean, and it allows the producer to pinpoint any artifacts within his music. This definitely has an effect on the way a producers music sounds. Because of the monitors, I was able to mix and master my music effectively, so that it sounds professional. I was also able to get a MIDI controller for music production. This gadget allows you to actively control and play the sounds that are installed in your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). Although it isn’t necessary to have this, it allows the producer to have a more natural feel when creating music.

Overall, I am glad that I chose to be apart of STEP my sophomore year. Ohio State has truly given their students a wonderful program that allows them to achieve the dreams that they have always had. I can say that this was an experience that I will always cherish, and I would recommend this program to all incoming and rising freshmen.

11831526_10205013478872191_883230776_o