Stock Market Endeavor

Name: Seth Maack

Type of Project: Creative Endeavor

1. Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project:

I used basic analytics tools to develop a well diversified stock portfolio. I tracked trends in industry, mutual funds, and the market itself to maximize the use of my STEP funds.

2. What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP Signature Project?

I learned that people are the most important resource for anyone. Nothing gets done without the help of other knowledgeable people and a good support network. I also learned that I do truly like working with data and markets. This real world experience has helped me affirm what I want to pursue in a future career.

Time management was an important aspect that I learned throughout the STEP experience. I assumed it would be easy to complete the proposal in STEP, and I was wrong. It’s not difficult if you plan everything out and stick to a schedule, and a schedule I had, but stick to it I did not. I had to rush my final proposal, but it turned out fine in the end. I did learn a valuable lesson though, deadlines and schedules are important and everything is much easier if you stick to them.

The process of writing the proposal helped me tremendously with the completion of my actual project. I learned valuable time management skills that allowed me to stay on track with my investment project. These skills are also valuable to have for anything in life. Whether it be in the classroom, or at my future job, good time management skills are always important to have.

3. What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in #2, and how did those affect you?

Well the first event was my friend Finn creating the idea that both of use would end up pursuing as our STEP endeavors. Finn was also in my STEP group early on and came up with the idea of investing. We both thought it was a good idea and worked together a lot to make our specific versions of the idea as best as possible.

The interactions with Finn led to a great friendship that still continues between us. I also gained a great friend in my STEP coordinator. Professor Dunlevy is a great person and mentor that has taught me a lot about myself through out the STEP process. We still remain in contact and frequently talk about her current STEP group and how to make their experience even better.

This project has also helped me discover that I love working with the stock market. It coincides nicely with my love of data and hopefully it will lead to a prosperous career in the world of finance. It would not have been possible to gain this real world experience with out the help of the STEP program and I am very thankful for what this experience has given me.

When I started STEP I followed a detailed schedule laid out for me by my coordinator. After awhile my classes began to become more rigorous. I began to push other activities aside for later which continued for awhile. I ended up cramming my final proposal into one weekend and that was a rough weekend. From that I learned that even if I do get busy, I can always make time to catch up or stay on schedule for my long term projects. I used this new found time management skill in my Analytics Industry Cluster program through Fisher this semester. We completed a semester long project and I didn’t have to rush at the end because I kept to schedule and actually received a 100% on the project.

4. Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your life?

The work that I accomplished in this project gave me valuable experience that I will use for the rest of my life. My knowledge of how markets and individual assets work continues to grow. The friendships that I have made through STEP will also continue to grow. Finn and I continue to be great friends and are currently working together. Professor Dunlevy is a great friend and mentor that I continue to remain in contact with.

STEP has truly helped me in more ways than imaginable. I have gained knowledge, skills, and friends through STEP at a magnitude that I was not expecting. I am very grateful for this opportunity and it made my college experience much more enjoyable.

.