STEP Creative Endeavor Cory Colston (Captains License/Leadership Conference)

1. Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project.
  • With my STEP project I was able to do a number of different things. My focus was creative endeavor as I wanted to do something different than others, but unique to me. I obtained my charter boat captains license with the money provided through STEP. I also went to a leadership conference as I thought it would be a great tool for my future career in education. I had to go through a three month class as well as a number of different tests in order to get this certification for the captains license. Once obtaining this license I put it to use immediately. I live in Port Clinton, Ohio which is located right on Lake Erie. I ran fishing charters on the lake for a summer job, which is something that I will continue to do for the remainder of my life.
  1. What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP Signature Project?
  • While I grew up in the area that I did I had always aspired to do something that I loved and to make a living out of it. This thing that I aspired to do was fishing and this goal that I had set was very obtainable. I wanted to get this license in high school, but the cost of the class was too much for me as I knew I had to save money for college as well. Once I saw what STEP had to offer I knew that I could finally do what I had always wanted. I also participated in the leadership portion of the experience. I wanted to gain as much as possible from this great program. When looking at my two careers teaching, and being a charter captain. I will have to work with people each and every day. This helps show how important leadership really is.

1. What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in #2, and how did those affect you?
  • When coming into STEP I had the idea that I wanted to get my captains license, but I did not know if that were something that would be applicable for the program. I feel that Dr. Loza my faculty member had a great impact on why I choose to do the things I did. She encouraged each and every one of us to strive to do something unique to ourselves. I gave her my idea of obtaining my captains license, and then she threw out the idea of doing something leadership based with my extra funds that she did not want me to waste. She thought this project would be perfect for me as it was something that I always wanted. ┬áThis experience has impacted me for the rest of my life as it provided me to obtain something that I will always use. I understand that study abroad programs are something that will stay with you forever and can be a once in a lifetime opportunity, but this creative endeavor portion of STEP to me is the easiest way to do something unique to yourself. Throughout the process I kept in touch with a number of people from my home town to try to figure out how I would do this, and Dr. Loza was there with support from start to finish.
  1. Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your life?
  • This experience was very valuable to me as it allowed me to obtain a job that I will continue for the remainder of my life. With the help of STEP I was able to get into the charter fishing business at a young age, which will hopefully allow me to move up as time goes on. The end goal is to start my own business running boats on the lake. Without STEP I may not have ever got my captains license, so this was a very significant and life changing program for me. Overall STEP was a great program that truly did change my life for the better. Most people think that their experience will be something that just impacts your college career, but STEP goes past that and has a lasting impact for the remainder of your life.

These are two of the companies that I worked for this past year in case anyone wanted to get a better look at the things that I did with this project.

http://seabreezecharters.com/

http://www.coevannacharters.com/