For my STEP signature project, I spent roughly six weeks immersed in Spanish culture. I lived with a Spanish host family and attended classes at a Spanish university. I also explored cultural sites around Spain such as the cave of the Soplao and the aqueduct of Segovia. 

My study abroad taught me self-reliance and adaptability. During a study abroad, you live in a foreign country without the support of friends and family. Although I have technically been an adult for several years now, in America I live fifteen minutes away from my family and can easily get help when I need it. 

While abroad, I had the support of my program, but in my day-to-day life I was responsible for myself. It was also the longest time that I had been away from home, and the furthest I have traveled. I study at the Mansfield branch of Ohio State, so I have never even lived outside of my hometown. Studying abroad showed me that I can manage new environments and uncomfortable situations by myself.

My trip to Spain was my first time flying internationally by myself. I had to navigate the airport and get to my gate on time. I also had to navigate a foreign airport when I arrived. The Madrid-Barajas airport is a large international airport. I was met there by one of the program leads, however, there were two designated pickup times and a failure to be at the meeting spot meant you would be responsible for reaching the hotel on your own. At the conclusion of the program, I had to make my own travel arrangements (including a hotel reservation and bus ticket) to reach the airport for my trip home. This was my first time making bookings by myself and planning my own itinerary. 

While in Spain I became sick and needed to see a doctor. I got a referral from my program and he wrote me a prescription. I had to find a pharmacy and get my prescription filled. In the U.S., this is something that I can manage but don’t need to. When my mom gets my little sister’s medication she picks up mine too. Spanish pharmacies are a bit different from American ones- you are responsible for bringing the prescription (on paper) to the pharmacy yourself. At home, my doctor sends the medications to the pharmacy online.

When I arrived in Salamanca, we were given one tour and shown the way to the Plaza Mayor. After that, I had to find my way by myself. For the first couple of weeks, every time I needed to go somewhere it was an ordeal. Spanish traffic systems are different to American ones. There are a lot of traffic circles and small side streets, and everything is so old that sometimes google maps doesn’t work. While some restaurants and shops in Spain have websites, they don’t have order online options like in the states. If I wanted to buy something or eat at a restaurant I had to get myself there, and then either find the item or order it. Even everyday things like buying a snack from the grocery store could be challenging because so many of their systems are set up differently. 

One other difference is the Spanish attitude about adulthood. In Spain, when you turn eighteen you are legally an adult and people treat you like one. In the U.S., eighteen-year-olds are technically adults but aren’t given the same responsibilities and privileges. Young adults in Spain have more freedom and are used to handling things themselves. On our second day in Spain, our program took us into the city center of Madrid and left us there. At the end of our two-hour tour, they said ‘adios’ and left, which we weren’t expecting. Our hotel was not in the city center and we needed to get back. It was especially difficult for me because I haven’t had to use public transportation before. I grew up in a rural town and I live in that same rural town. I drive everywhere. Being abroad forced me to adapt to these situations. If I didn’t get myself home, I wouldn’t get home, so I had to learn how to use their transportation systems. 

Becoming more self-reliant is important for me because I can’t stay at the branch forever. Even if I manage to stay here for my entire bachelor’s degree, I will need to go elsewhere for graduate school. I was worried that because I’ve only ever lived at home I wouldn’t be able to handle living on a different campus, but now that I’ve done it in Spain I know it will be much easier in the U.S.