STEP: Study Abroad in Edinburgh, Scotland

1) My STEP signature project involved a month long study-abroad experience in Edinburgh, Scotland. While I was there, I attended classes on modernism and contemporary literature, while also engaging in cultural activities and exploring the country.

2) My STEP signature project improved my self-confidence. It was my first time traveling alone so I was extremely nervous. In the past, I have leaned on others when I get uncomfortable or confused, especially in new situations. Since I was traveling alone, I was unable to do this. It made me make my own decisions and come up with my own solutions. Additionally, the other participants in my program were from all over the world. I was able to learn about many new cultures without leaving Edinburgh. We frequently compared our cultures and experiences in our home countries. As a global community, we have more similarities than we do differences.

3) The structure of my course involved a morning lecture followed by a small group seminar. In between the lecture and seminar, there was a 15-minute coffee break to discuss with the lecturer or just take a break before the seminar. This break (and the lunch period that followed the seminar) allowed me to create friendships with my other participants. We first began to plan excursions into the city and the surrounding area so we did not have to explore alone. As we embarked on these adventures, we became closer and eventually friends. Despite our differing national origins, we had many things in common. For me, this highlighted the interconnectivity we have reached as a global community.

Alongside this shift in global perspective, I was also able to become more secure in myself. In the past, I have had difficulty making friends: my personality has leaned introverted. However, I knew I would enjoy my experience if I was able to explore with other people. After all, it is less daunting to explore a new area with a group. Due to this, I knew I would have to be more outgoing. This actually turned out to be quite easy! It was not challenging at all. Normally, I would stress out about inviting people I have just met to do things with me. During this experience, however, it was not difficult. Through our shared time together, we created a strong bond. This not only made many memories, but also reassured my self-confidence.

While my time spent in a group was transformative, traveling alone also strengthened my self-confidence. In the past, I have been extremely self-conscious in public: I have felt like everyone was looking at me. One specific thing I was worried about was dragging a heavy backpack and a suitcase through the city, as I had to walk to and from my accommodation. I am not sure why this specifically was so frightening – perhaps the thought of creating an inconvenience for people, or that I would stand out as a traveler. As I’ve mentioned previously, doing this with someone else would have made me feel better, as I wouldn’t be the only one. However, this was not an option. I had to do this alone. It turns out, it was not a big deal; I had been psyching myself out the entire time. No one paid too much attention and, if they did, who cares? It does not impact them and I’m allowed to take up space in public.

4) During the program, we had different lecturers for every lecture. They presented on a work that they were knowledgeable in, specifically due to their research. I loved this structure. Research is one of my favorite areas of the English major – it is part of the reason why I picked it. Analyzing the texts and connecting them to larger issues enriches my experience with the text itself and influences my worldview. In the past, I have thought about pursuing a graduate degree in English in order to work in an academic institution. However, academic can be difficult to break into so I have put this dream on the back burner. Another opportunity in my program was a symposium for the participants to share their work and research on an area connected to modernism and contemporary literature. I am planning on writing an Honors thesis, so I thought this would be a great event to participate in. While I was extremely nervous, I soon realized presenting is not a Herculean task for me. Both my presentations went smoothly and I had people, including individuals who work in academic, tell me that they loved my lecture. The program also had a postgraduate information session. Although this was tailored to studying in Scotland, attending this allowed me to envision myself in a similar program. With these thoughts in mind, I applied for a position as a student instructional assistant in the sociology department – a position I have since received. This will allow me to gain first-hand knowledge of teaching at a university level.