My Study Abroad in Viña del Mar, Chile

1.Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project. Write two or three sentences describing the main activities your STEP Signature Project entailed. 

For my STEP Signature Project, I chose to do a study abroad in Viña del Mar, Chile for 10 weeks during the Summer of 2024. I stayed with a host family and for the first half of my program I took classes at Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso that counted toward my Spanish minor and the second half I volunteered at a local clinic. 

2.What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP Signature Project? Write one or two paragraphs to describe the change or transformation that took place. 

I think the most valuable thing I learned on my trip is that I am a lot more capable and independent than I originally thought I was. Having traveled on my own before, I knew it was intimidating, but that I was fully capable. However, on this trip I pushed myself to new limits that were well worth the growth and knowledge but truly scared me in the moment. Experiencing so much alone made me not only appreciate myself more, but the people around me. This included not just the friends and family I was missing, but the relationships I gained with new people around me too. 

In this process, I came to understand other cultures in a much deeper, more meaningful way. It was amazing to learn so many interesting facts about different cuisine, customs, and languages in such an authentic setting. Yet what really stood out to me was that despite such large differences, I was able to connect with so many unique individuals. It was so special to sit at the dinner table and share laughs with a culture so vastly different from my own only to discover that in the end, we are all just human. 

3.What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP SignatureProject led to the change/transformation that you discussed in #2, and how did those affect you? Write three or four paragraphs describing the key aspects of your experiences completing your STEP Signature Project that led to this change/transformation. 

One of the most influential events of my trip was having my phone stolen from my hands about halfway through. I just remember feeling entirely shocked and utterly helpless as I stood on the sidewalk after it happened. Luckily a couple saw it happen, and called the police for me, but I wasn’t feeling too lucky as I was driven alone to the station caged in the back seat to file a report. This event created obstacle after obstacle for the rest of my trip, and I’m not sure if I would have been able to get through them without the support of my host family in Chile, friends, and family at home. In this way, I came to appreciate the kindness of others in such a meaningful way that will stick with me forever. 

My host brother, Aníbal, was a prime example of this kindness. Aníbal welcomed me with such open arms and was eager to share his city and culture with me, as well as my companions from my program. He began as our tour guide, showing us the best snacks in the supermarket, local cafés (he is a barista), and even places to get pierced, but soon, he was one of us. Aníbal was my closest friend on my trip, and I will never forget the conversations we had cleaning the dishes or walking home together. It was such a unique and moving experience to get so close to someone so different from me. I will hold on to our relationship forever. In fact, I plan on visiting him when he comes to Colorado in December. 

Aníbal was not the only one I formed a meaningful relationship with. Not only did I grow super close to the other members of my host family and friends from my program, but I developed unexpected relationships traveling to other parts of South America solo. For example, I was fortunate enough to travel to Easter Island, where I became close friends with one of the owners of my hotel, Renata. She showed me around the island, invited me to a party with her cousins, and even helped me book and accompanied me to get a tattoo. The hospitality of this close-knit community on the island left me in awe, and even after just 2 days on the island, I found myself connected to the remarkable culture.  

What was perhaps so moving about these travel experiences was that for many of them, I did them alone. While it was nerve-racking traveling to Peru and Easter Island by myself, doing the trips solo allowed me to take in the culture in a whole new way. I spent a lot of time in silence, which was at first very unusual, but I began to appreciate the simplicity of it. I learned a lot about myself on these trips. I now have so many memories that are unique to only me, which has given me a new sense of independence and pride. Pushing myself out of my comfort zone was the only way for me to learn what I was truly capable of, and I surprised even myself. 

4.Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your life? Write one or two paragraphs discussing why this change or development matters and/or relates to your academic, personal, and/or professional goals and future plans.

One of my biggest goals in life has always been to be a kind, understanding, well-rounded person. This is why I believe traveling is so important and find so much joy in my experiences abroad. I have become more empathetic, knowledgeable, and communicative through various challenges traveling, which has helped me achieve not only my personal goals, but will help me achieve my professional goals as well. My appreciation for others of all different backgrounds will make me a better team member, which is especially vital in my field (engineering). Furthermore, studying in a Spanish speaking country developed my language skills. My fluency will stand out on a resume and allow me to continue engaging in unique situations others do not typically have the chance to.