FEEP Indonesia

1.I went on a Study Abroad to Indonesia through the College of Education. We observed different schools in both Bali and Jakarta while we studied what the different socioeconomic statuses mean in connection to the type of education a student receives.

2.This trip taught me so much. It allowed me to find and keep humility like I hoped it would. Too often, I get wrapped up in my life, my daily routine of working, sleeping, eating and simply just living. I become self-absorbed to the point it affects my health, my happiness and my perspective. I learned as a traveler that there so much going on in the world around. I really took my time to absorb it and take it all in. I made sure to make connections with students, educators, and OSU alumni in Indonesia and that’s what made my trip so special.

3.The 2 weeks I spent in Bali was what I found to be most transformational. This was all because I was introduced to a group of high school students that attended a boarding school with an extremely low socioeconomic status. I was amazed each day by how the school meet the students needs. It was easy to notice that they were doing an incredible job because you can see it on the students smiles. I have never met a happier group of people with such enthusiasm and eagerness to learn. Going to boarding school is a huge privilege for them and they were so grateful for the wonderful opportunity they have been given. 

I was paired up with a student who showed me around for the week and at 15 years old she and her friends taught me so much. I realized that low socioeconomic status correlates to factors such as lower educational achievement, poverty and poor health. They explained that without the help of their school they would be living a completely different lifestyle back home. They never thought they would attend a good school or have people so invested in their futures. It made me so happy to see the students thriving with such an amazing support system.

Bali Mandara Academy and their society as a whole benefits from their focus on the foundations of socioeconomic inequities and efforts to reduce the deep gaps in socioeconomic status. Bali Mandara Academy is a school that goes against the odds and tries to reduce the poverty gap.They take kids out of low income communities and give them a generous amount of resources. They provide students with quality education and allow them to live a positive lifestyle at the same time. Their students are incredible and some of the smartest people I have ever met. With all the support they have, I believe they have a greater chance at succeeding by being at Bali Mandara Academy and it was an honor getting to know them.

4.It’s quite a humbling experience to go to another country and study the values of education. Working with students and staff at different schools in Indonesia gave me a lot of insight on how important they view education on the opposite side of the world. I am someone who is very passionate about equal opportunities when it comes to education no matter where you come from and what your socioeconomic status is.  After learning so much about all the work that Indonesia does for its youth, I came home knowing I will benefit from this knowledge and perspective. It gave me hope for the future and I admire their efforts to change the system. I had the pleasure of getting to have a once in a lifetime experience with the most incredible people and I’m forever thankful for everyone who made it possible.