STEP Reflection – My 6 Months in Brazil

During my STEP Signature Project, I traveled abroad to Brazil to complete an immersive language program. I stayed with my host mother in the city of Curitiba where I took Brazilian Portuguese and Geography of Brazil classes at the federal university. I was also given the opportunity to travel around Brazil and learn about the rich and unique societies that each region of the country was able to offer.

I had no expectations of the country before arriving which, I think was a good thing as I had no preexisting stereotypes about the people or the culture. This allowed me to really understand and connect with the people and learn about the country on a level that was so fundamental because my experience was so pure and not biased by any other aspect. Being a child of Indian immigrants, I did not experience a huge culture shock because I have traveled to different parts of the world before that differ greatly from Western society; however, I was able to appreciate the common sentiment to enjoy life and appreciate the ones you love that the Brazilian people have adopted. This attitude was one of the most important things that I have learnt and really differed from the cultures I have experienced before. Another thing that brought more depth to my understanding of the world was the ambiguity of people’s appearance. There were so many different types of people in Brazil, mainly due to the numerous waves of immigration and refugees that have found their home in the huge country. This really redefined my thoughts on race and cultural barriers. It also made me feel less concerned about how other people perceive me due to the color of my skin; something that I find myself having to do many times in the United States.

My classes, meeting other students and travelling were the factors that really allowed me to initiate and follow through with my transformation. When I had arrived in Curitiba, it was really nothing like I had expected. The city was very big and I realized that almost no one spoke English. Not having any previous knowledge of Brazilian Portuguese, I quickly discovered that I would have to develop my language skills very fast in order to do something so simple as just ordering food. This determination really fueled my interest in paying attention in class, practicing the language and building my vocabulary with every chance I got. The first month of my exchange was very mentally challenging as I felt very isolated to others due to the language barrier. My host mother also only spoke Brazilian Portuguese so I had to communicate with her using a translator. This was something that really inspired me to learn the language rapidly as I wanted to avoid the translator and really get to know her and connect with her on a level that required the intimacy and emotion of the direct, spoken language. I was able to start picking up the language within a month. This linguistic knowledge really allowed me to understand the Brazilian culture on a closer level as I learned many slangs and words that were exclusive to the country and the people. Through my classes I was also able to meet other exchange students from places such as France, Spain, Croatia, Ireland, and more. This gave me another aspect of cultural learning that I really wasn’t expecting. I was able to connect with people from all over the world. I also made many Brazilian friends through the university and the program. I was able to spend time with them in different social setting and circles that let me explore Brazilian pop culture and youth culture. My connection with Brazilian people my age really allowed me to immerse myself in the language as I began to participate in conversation and learn how to speak Portuguese informally, expanding on my base of formal/ didactic Portuguese.

I began to travel with some English-speaking friends and families to see the breathtaking beaches and views that Brazil had to offer. Within two weeks of arriving in the country, another exchange student’s host family invited me on a family vacation to the coastal beaches of Parana. Although I still was not able to speak much of the language, I was able to observe what a typical getaway to the beach would entail. I was able to enjoy some tasty barbecue, churrascaria, and beautiful waves. I also traveled with some other exchange students or Brazilian friends to places such as Rio and Sao Paulo. I went to Sao Paulo to celebrate Carnaval and it was one of the most culturally enriching experiences I had. Being able to celebrate life with Brazilian people is really something that I will never forget in my life. I even began to feel comfortable enough in my language skills to begin traveling on my own. This was one of the most rewarding and transforming experiences for me because it really forced me to practice speaking and I also connected with so many people that I never would have imagined. For example, one night I had dinner with an older couple from my host city of Curitiba who had moved to the coastal village of Pontal do Sul. They cooked me dinner and we had a wonderful conversation about my life in the US and their life in Brazil. Towards the end of my exchange, I did a 2-week solo backpacking trip through three states within the interior of Brazil. Here I met even more interesting people and other foreigners who taught me so many things about their home country, themselves, their viewpoints and their traditions. My Brazilian geography class really enriched my journey as there were many things that I learned in class that I was able to witness and observe in real-time. For example, I traveled to the city of Uberlandia to meet with my friend and her boyfriend. Her boyfriend’s family was in the agricultural business. After learning extensively about this industry in my class, I was able to understand better the nuances and social aspects of this business after visiting Uberlandia. This is just one of many examples where I was able to have such a rich immersion within Brazilian society while traveling.

Not only did traveling and connecting with different types of people help me gain a comprehensive knowledge of the country but it also allowed me to develop a deep and passionate love for Brazil. I had made so many friends and such a strong personal connection with host mother that it really was difficult for me to return to the United States. I know that I will return to Brazil very soon. My experience also helped me gain a newfound appreciation for myself. I was met with many obstacles during my trip that I was able to overcome. By not being shy to practice the language, I was able to make the most out of my exchange in terms of forming connections and discovering the country. Also, my penchant for trying new things really opened my horizon for new foods, friends and experiences. During my time in Brazil, especially while backpacking, I appreciated my courage and motivation in learning about the country. The experience really made me a more confident person and I find myself less afraid to take risks and more inclined to enjoy life.

Lastly, my experience also helped me academically and professionally. During my time studying at the federal university, I was able to connect with a pediatric nephrologist that worked for the university hospital. I was able to shadow and meet with her on numerous occasions which not only expanded my Portuguese vocabulary into the field of healthcare, but it also allowed me to understand Brazil’s public system of healthcare. This opportunity allowed me to expand my options in career choices and also confirm my interest in the field of global healthcare and health policy. As a senior, this is rewarding as it helps me on my career path and path to medical college.