Report Back: Reflection

Name: Jamilah Muhammad

Muhammad.89

STEP Participant 2016-2017

Type of Project: Education Abroad

Francophone Africa: Between Tradition and Modernity, Summer, 2018.

1. Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project. Write two or three sentences describing the main activities your STEP Signature Project entailed.

For my STEP Signature Project, I chose to study abroad in Dakar, Senegal where we focused on Senegalese history and culture. Topics ranged from religion to hip-hop and we were not only able to learn about these topics in the classroom, but were able to take what we learned and apply it to different places and activities.

1. What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP Signature Project? Write one or two paragraphs to describe the change or transformation that took place.

The most interesting thing about Senegal, is that in America is not talked about enough, and to my perspective, it is due to the fact that it is an exception from many other African countries. All we hear and learn about in the States, are the lack of resources, civil unrest, or terroristic activity that goes on in some African countries, but for Senegal that is not so easily the case. There are five main ways that Senegal can be theorized as an exception of other countries: politically, geographically, religiously, socially and historically. The social and political aspects were the most influential to me, because to my understanding, it was the complete opposite of America.

The social construct of America thrives on differences and individuality, while here in Senegal, no matter where you are, at the end of the day you will be accepted and invited, and that is due to the idea of substituting sameness with equality. Within Senegal there are many different groups of people, rather it be the Dialta or Faye or Fulani, they all live amongst one another peacefully and if you migrate to certain groups part of the land, you will become one of them. However, this ideology is rooted in equality not assimilation and in America the two can get confused. Why? I argue it is a mixture of two main ideals, which are diversity and domination. In America, we are forced to see each other’s differences because we do not look, act or think the same way. However, rather than accepting those differences and letting one be an American solely for the fact that they are in America, western ideals push a narrative that you must “be an American”. What is American? An American is the imitation and assimilation of western culture, ideals and practices. It goes far behind how you look, but is engrained in how we think. Physical appearance is a big part of it, but at the same time the same it can be argued that individualism is western along with the majority of socially constructed phobias and “-isms”. To be afraid that someone is going to come in and take your country does not exist here in Senegal, because they see you for your being and character not you color, socioeconomic standing or language. In America, I am Jamilah Muhammad, which would automatically be interpreted that I am foreign or exotic, African and a possible threat, but in Senegal I am just Jamilah Muhammad.

1. What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in #2, and how did those affect you? Write three or four paragraphs describing the key aspects of your experiences completing your STEP Signature Project that led to this change/transformation.

When I initially chose to study abroad for my STEP Signature Project, I went in with a search and hunger for a culture that I felt I was robbed of, and yet so desperately wanted to be a part of. When I chose to Dakar, I was excited because not only would I be the first of my family to travel to Africa, but I wanted to experience a place that my ancestors could have potentially originated from. I went into the experience expecting to learn about a world, life and culture different than my own and provide a different perspective, and yet couldn’t have left the education experience feeling more similar the friends and families I met in Senegal.

Being African American, can be looked at, from the perspective as a dichotomy. In a time where having black skin is a threat to the American values and foundations, it is important now more than ever to explore and educate ourselves about other people, countries, and cultures even though we are told to be afraid and to focus to on our differences rather than our similarities. When I first got off the plane, I did not realize how affected I would be by being in the majority. Everyone around me, looked like me, and I was in a place that the color of one’s skin no longer mattered where here in America it seems to matter the most. I realized after our first few dinners and classes that we also shared the same kind of humor, same likes in fashion and our culture, despite being on opposite sides of the world and being 300 years removed, were virtually the same.

One of the places we visited that really made me realize my ancestors were not only strong and resilient through slavery and colonialism, but also through the process of forced assimilation and denomination, was the Woman’s Museum. As we walked around, we really learned a lot about the powerful African women in all aspects amongst various generations. It was amazing to see the tools they used, precolonial and colonial, to just go about their everyday lives, and you would find the same tools in an African-American museum back home. I was in awe, because to know that my ancestors really fought to keep the culture in alive (whether it be the aspects of tools, religious practices, or ceremonies) in a time and place where they were brutalized into submission, makes me appreciate and want to celebrate my culture that much more, in way that really highlights the strength of my ancestors. I realized the piece of Africa that I had been searching and yearning for could be found at baptisms, beauty salons and the black Baptist churches.

The one key difference between the Senegalese people and many people of Africa and African Americans, is that the ancestors of African American were taken while the ancestors of our Senegalese peers were not. This was a realization I had at Goree Island. I was overcome with so much emotion, and they did not and could not understand. We had to explain to them, that while their families were succumbed to colonialism and exploitation, ours were put under harsh, brutal and violent conditions. After the conversation we were able to see a different perspective of one another. They saw, that behind the fancy clothes and makeup we as a people were broken, incomplete, and that even though we live in America, we live as an enemy to the States. The conversations and experiences we had together, made the world that much smaller and brought everyone that much closer together.

1. Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your life? Write one or two paragraphs discussing why this change or development matters and/or relates to your academic, personal, and/or professional goals and future plans.

This change was not only significant, but it was life-changing. The most important thing in life is being able to live and experience other people and other cultures. Learning about those different from you can not only make the world smaller, but allow for you to see those differences as miniscule and hone and focus on the similarities. In journalism, I pride myself on telling stories that are not only important, but giving a platform to those who otherwise would not have one. All too often are people of color mischaracterized, misjudged and misheard because of what they look like or their socioeconomic status and I want to be the journalist to be able to get rid of the prejudicial judgement that we find all too often in media. Sometimes it is easy to feel alone or is if you or your people are fighting an uphill battle, but through conversation and fellowship you are on the road to understanding one another, being there for one another and being able to make the world a smaller and more comprehensible place.

JAM Packed Adventures

One thought on “Report Back: Reflection