Sustainable Business Global Lab Reflection

For my STEP Signature Project, I participated in the Fisher College of Business Sustainable Global Lab this May. This involved taking a one-session course in preparation for meeting with sustainable companies in the Netherlands and Sweden. The other component of this trip was visiting different cultural sites such as museums, churches, and popular landmarks while traveling through these countries.

While participating in this program, I felt that I was able to further develop my professional and global outlook. Having the opportunity to discuss sustainability thoroughly with professionals in several different fields such as finance, marketing, or even fast food exposed me to a variety of perspectives on sustainability. I feel that these perspectives differ significantly from those in the United States as companies in Sweden and the Netherlands tend to better integrate sustainability into their business models. From a professional standpoint, this allowed me to learn unique methods to attack sustainability through business. From a cultural standpoint, I felt inspired by how genuinely motivated these individuals were to make change through their professions.

During this program, I felt transformed by what I learned from the company representatives we spoke with. The CEO of Climeon, a renewable energy startup, gave a four-hour presentation on climate change, the economic climate in renewable energy, and how he invented a waste-heat water generator. During those four hours, we learned extensively about how renewable energy is integral to the energy dynamics of Sweden and much of northern Europe. I felt that I learned the most from this visit and it was an experience I could not have gotten anywhere else.

Another transformational experience happened at one of the restaurants we visited in Sweden, where we were talking with some locals about their opinions on their economy and economic system. I was surprised to hear some of the negatives they had to share, and it helped me realize that no country is perfect. Additionally, learning more about some of the cultural norms and values helped me understand how much that can contribute to the success of sustainability in a country.

As someone pursuing a career in business and sustainability, I greatly valued being able to participate in this program. I feel that the material from this program tied together my major in Business and Logistics and my minor in Sustainability in a way that is applicable to the real world. Additionally, what I learned during this program inspired me to continue my pursuit in creating positive change through corporate sustainability.

One thought on “Sustainable Business Global Lab Reflection