Corfu: May 2018

This past May, I had the amazing opportunity of traveling to Corfu, Greece and spending an eventful, unforgettable month there. During my time abroad, I spent three hours each day

studying and learning about Western culture at Ionian University, beginning with the Ancient Greeks up through modern-day Greece. Outside of the classroom, my fellow Buckeyes and I were taken on a number of excursions that enhanced our learning experiences as we were also given free time to explore the island on our own. Once our time in Corfu came to an end, we spent two days in Athens, Greece where we were able to see many famous historical sites and explore the historical capital city.

Before going abroad, I knew that my views and overall thoughts of the world were very sheltered and premature- I come from a small town in Ohio, never traveling farther than the Caribbean and without my family tagging along. Admittedly, I was terrified to travel alone, not knowing anyone prior to my trip and unaware of life outside of my everyday norm. However, my time in Corfu, and abroad in general, taught me more about myself than most experiences at home had. While in Corfu, I learned that my love for people and new experiences wasn’t left behind with my family, friends, and pets in the states.

This love for people and new experiences allowed me to see and do some amazing things while abroad, including making new friends from Ohio State that I wouldn’t have met otherwise, seeing historical sites that I had only read of in textbooks and learning about a new culture that I had only dreamed of being a part of. These experiences lead to many realizations about not only myself but the world around me. I realized this world is just as accepting 5,000 miles away as it is at home, with people from all around the world showing kindness, sincerity, and generosity throughout my time abroad. As for my view of the world, I realized that appreciation of culture is something to not take lightly and that a love for where you come from is something to express to everyone. These, along with a plethora of realizations, made my study abroad and STEP Signature Project one that I could never forget.

These transformations and realizations mentioned above couldn’t have been possible without a number of unforgettable experiences I had in Corfu. The kindness and sincerity mentioned above were displayed in many interactions I had abroad, with both the locals and other individuals traveling to Corfu. For example, our program coordinators from Greece were anything short of amazing. From the moment we stepped off the plane, they were always checking in to make sure we had everything we needed and even taking us on excursions, explaining the sites historical relevance and importance. For me, I couldn’t express enough appreciation for these individuals, as they made our experience both educational and fun, a concept that is sometimes hard to do with 22 college-aged girls.

Another interaction abroad that made me appreciate the kindness and generosity of others was with a local who owned a restaurant up the street from our hotel. As the restaurant owner, George was thrilled to see Buckeyes walk through the door, as he looks forward to having Ohio State students and our advisors every year.  Each time we entered his restaurant, we were treated like family- George was always giving me advice on what to order so I could “eat like the locals” and even held a karaoke night for all of us at the end of the trip. Not only did this show kindness and sincerity, but George was just one example of the many people we met in Corfu that showed this sort of hospitality. Not only did this expand my love for people, but it also showed me that any place could be a temporary home.

Above, I mentioned that appreciation of culture and where you come from was another important aspect I learned from my time abroad and I would credit this realization to the different experiences I had with historical sites, events, etc. My favorite example of cultural appreciation was the Corfu Independence Parade we attended on May 21. This parade was filled with bands, dance organizations, and children’s organizations celebrating the island and their gained independence from many years ago. The Greek flag, along with the colors blue and white, was everywhere that day. I could tell that culture is very important to the Greeks and plays a major role in their everyday life, as they always had the Greek flag displayed and were always willing to share their culture with us through different foods or events.

Another example of both cultural appreciation and important interactions I experienced was with our tour guide, Sophia, while in Athens visiting the Parthenon. Sophia was so joyful and excited to share the history of Greece at each site we visited. The one thing I remember about Sophia was her words about the Greeks, my favorite being, “whatever we do here we do big, girls” as she pointed to the Acropolis and Parthenon. Sophia was the purest example of cultural appreciation and having pride of where she came from, and that has stuck with me since my return. Due to these interactions and experiences, I have gained a larger appreciation for not only my home but for the other places people call home.

These interactions and experiences haven’t only left impactful footprints on my college career but have further prepared me for my senior year at The Ohio State University and my future career. As a senior at Ohio State, I have been surrounded by many different types of people for three years now but have never taken the time to learn more about their story or the place they call home. I now believe that learning about people and the different cultures they come from is important for not only personal relationships but for increasing the academic world we’re surrounded by at Ohio State. I would also attest that this aspect is important for my future career in the communications world, as I could potentially be working with individuals from all walks of life. Overall, this experience has opened my eyes to a life outside Columbus and has taught me that everyone is deserving of kindness and sincerity regardless of where they come from or what culture they appreciate and celebrate.