STEP Signature Project Reflection

Name: Sydney Brown

Type of Project: Education Abroad

1. For my STEP signature project I spent the Spring 2018 semester studying abroad in Paris, France through an International Studies Abroad program. This program focused on improving my French language and culture skills while taking classes at the Sorbonne.  I lived with a host family.

1. My understanding of myself and my world view changed in three ways while I was studying abroad. First of all, I learned a lot about myself.  I realized how nervous I get that I am going to make mistakes or embarrass myself.  I consider myself a risk taker, but I never realized how worried I get when I’m not sure I’ll be right.  While living in another country and speaking a foreign language you have to embrace those mistakes, because it is the only way to learn and grow.  I’m more comfortable messing up because I was forced to speak French every day.

I also learned a lot about France, French culture, and American culture.  I see a lot more diversity in the world.  I have a new respect for immigrants and foreigners who have to navigate the difficulties of living in a foreign country.  I learned to value food like the French do.  I had to adapt to living without certain luxuries such as air conditioning and large showers.  It made me realize how wasteful Americans, myself included are.  It also taught me to value these luxuries and some of our own cultural differences in their own way.  I realized that no one culture or way of doing things is right or better, but they all can be valued and respected.

1. What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in #2, and how did those affect you? Write three or four paragraphs describing the key aspects of your experiences completing your STEP Signature Project that led to this change/transformation.

One event that made me realize how nervous I am to speak French, but really forced me to do it was visiting the south of France with my family.  In general, less people there speak French.  One night we needed a taxi back to our hotel, and the restaurant we were at called, but couldn’t find any available.  Eventually, we found a taxi and flagged him down.  You typically don’t hail taxis in France, they’re requested by calling.  Naturally, the driver was confused.  I had to step up and explain our situation.  He didn’t speak English and certainly wasn’t going to spend all night trying to translate the needs of some American tourists.  I realized while talking to the man after he agreed to take us to our hotel, that my French is good enough to get what I need done.  It’s okay if I make mistakes because in a desperate situation, I was successful.

Living with my host family very much impacted my view of French culture, particularly food as well as my worldview as an American.  My host mom is from Martinique and my host dad is from Cuba.  While discussing my everyday life with them and them telling me about their experience in Martinique, Cuba, and France I learned a lot more about cultural differences and being a foreigner.  To them, everything American is big and luxurious, but also they are baffled by our need for it all.  I admire how Europeans live much less materialistically.  I also learned a lot about Cuba, its successes despite the embargo and how the necessity there has bread great innovation in its people.  Before I had always just thought of it as a poorer country, but it has an excellent education system and healthcare.  It made me question what other countries I had misconceptions about.

As simple as it is, my view of food and meals also changed while living with my host family.  They couldn’t believe that I made dinner for myself each night and that I cooked and ate in just one hour.  For the French meal time is special, almost sacred.  They don’t scarf down snacks on the metro.  They snack little at all period.  They take hours to eat dinner, to enjoy the food and each other’s company.  Long dinners with my host family is something I will certainly miss. Now that I’m home I try to view eating as an experience and part of my day, not something to be rushed through.

1. Spending the semester abroad in Paris will help me within my personal, academic, and professional goals. Personally, it has always been a goal of mine to increase my French fluency. This opportunity gave me the chance to practice French in its native country, which taught me more than I ever could have learned in the classroom.  I am pursuing a degree in French and communications, and this program helped me add 12 credits towards my French major.  It also allowed me to experience cross-cultural communication skills which will help me within my communications major, and in a future career.  Lastly, by increasing my language skills I am able to better position myself as a job candidate who has foreign language skills.  I hope to work for an organization that is French or operates in France as well as the U.S. The chance to greatly improve my French and to live abroad has enriched my life greatly.

I wrote a blog during my trip that can be accessed here.