Abroad in Cuba

This summer I had the most privileged opportunity to study abroad in Havana, Cuba. My educational program was housed in the college of Art and Sciences and focused heavily on the influence African history on Cuban culture. Even further, the course explored the role race relations played in the development of Cuban identity and provided context for a cross-cultural analysis between the United States and Cuba.

From my stay in Havana I have developed a better understanding of myself. I realized how important education is and how inaccessible it is for some people. Normally inaccessibility would refer to money or family etc,. However, teaching and learning methods also matter. This moment of reflection came to me after a lecture in with an educator in Old Havana. His conversation-style of teaching encouraged many behaviors frowned upon in traditional classroom settings. In example, always asking questions, never being afraid to ask for help, and more. I learned that adjustments in learning approaches can change how material is absorbed. And furthermore develop a more interested students and enthusiastic environment.

Studying abroad has greatly influenced my love for learning, diversity, and openness for change. Through my interactions with different professors, students, and locals throughout the country I became aware that there is so much gain from every situation. The woman you run into on the side walk, speaking Spanish to her child teaches you something about her culture. The lectures tell stories about the nation’s history. The people bring the traditions and culture to light.

Throughout the trip we learned different aspects of Cuban culture through dance lessons, religious museum tours, and required readings. Many of the traditions have roots from the enslaved period and resonates with the history of the United States. The stark similarities of discrimination such as racial cartoons that depict Africans with big lips and eating watermelon, to the systemic failure that lends to the growth of poverty, amazed me in a wild way about the historical nature of racial imbalance.

Cuban culture, restaurants, people, all embody art and outward expression. As a spoken word poet in the United State I often find myself defending my method of expression. In Cuba, art is seemingly everywhere and apart of everyone. Seeing art, people, and social awareness matter to an entire country made me feel appreciated as an artist. The value art has within Cuban culture has fueled my energy for expression.

This trip further my desire to explore careers in justice and study the African history and influence throughout the world. Cuba showed me that there is a place for people who value people. There is a lot we can learn from one another historically and personally. However we must not be afraid each other and henceforth, valuable information. Education matters because people matter.

Dr. Esteban Morales

Varadero, Cuba

One thought on “Abroad in Cuba

1. Thank you for sharing. Sounds like you had a meaningful experience. I do agree, I think all of us can learn from one another.