STEP Education Aboard Rwanda

My step signature project was a Global May trip to Rwanda. This study aboard program consisted of living in Rwanda for three weeks. This experience gave me a chance to explore the country’s culture. Within those three weeks we studied the genocide by observing sites we visited, such as memorials, and developments boards across the town of Kigali. One week throughout our trip was dedicated to living with a host family there in Rwanda. This gave my colleagues and I the opportunity to gain more insight of the Rwandan culture, and ton have chance to view their daily lives in depth during our visit.

For my first time traveling aboard there were many things I had to adapt to. From flying in the air for a long time, all the way to not being able to understand Kinyarwanda. I learned a lot about Rwanda, and their culture, but I also learned more about myself. Prior to traveling to the country my views about it were drastically different from my insights after being physically there. I didn’t think they would have cars, or even roads. I thought there will be no type of service or technology present. I was unsure if I would eat three meals a day, let alone one. It wasn’t because I thought they were extremely poor, and didn’t have food to provide us with, but because I was not sure if they would have a wide variety of things to choose from. However, the first day there we had pancakes, which happens to be my favorite. They provided all kinds of fresh fruit, and veggies. The food was amazing, and also very healthy. On top of that there were many people who owned cars. There were tons of store buildings. I didn’t expect for the country to be as developed as they were because of the horrible act of the genocide. There is so much nature, life, and happy people who enjoy their lives, who cherish their lives, and it moved me to see, and talk to people who have lost family members in the genocide, or who have participated in it forgive themselves or others, and try to move forward and be happy. I didn’t meet one rude Rwandan there. It made me appreciate my life more, and the things, and people who are in it. It made me look at things in bigger picture, and to know holding grudges will not get me any where. It made me appreciate the free water we have in our own house for free. To know I can wake up and brush my teeth with faucet water and not get sick is a good feeling. The assumption of Rwanda being in need for help was one of my views I had prior to coming on this trip, but after being there for three days I could see they they didn’t need anybody’s help. They have created the most beautifulest country I have ever seen. I don’t think anything will compare to the nature, and the alive atmosphere there. My biggest take away message, and understanding is that everybody’s diamonds, or treasure, or even happiness are all measured at different levels. Rwandans are happy with how they live their daily lives, and wouldn’t change, or move away from their country because they feel safe, and feel at home there.

On this trip I have made many connections with people. I became close to some of my colleagues. It was nice to have interactions with each of them. They all have great personalities. I also made a connection with my teacher and TA. However, the biggest connection that I made while I was there was with my host family. On this trip we visited many places that put my mind in deep thoughts about life in general. Some of these place left an impact on me. While we were there we visited memorials. Some memorials told the whole story about the genocide, and while others mainly focused on the area where the memorial were located. Visiting those memorials, and watching videos about it made me appreciate my family more. Now that I am home I stay home more, and try not to go out with my friends as much because you never know what is going to happen. I don’t know what I would do if I was to lose somebody who I am so close with. The memorials gave me a wake up call to live life to the fullest, and to do it with the people I love. They also reminded me that there are bigger, and deeper problems than the little ones I complain about throughout my life. I appreciate my life, and every single minute in it. Every since I’ve been home I have been seeing, and doing things differently. I am a much more understanding person, and I try to think about solutions before I overreact to something.
Another thing I picked up there was being more engaged. When I’m at home I tend to stay to myself, and not go no where, and just watch movies by myself. I was just so antisocial. The first few days there in Rwanda I still was antisocial, but some of my colleagues were busy bodies. After awhile I noticed that being by myself, and alone while everyone else was out exploring was making me feel sick physically, and mentally. My roommate convinced me one day that I should go out and explore with her and the others. I felt completely better after engaging with my colleagues and, having interactions with them. Being back here in Columbus I try to go out and do outings with my family, and friends more often instead of sitting in the house and wasting my life away. I want to be more ganged during the school year also, and start doing more organizations and just make a change some way some how. My colleagues helped me transformed in to a active, social person.

As I mentioned earlier one of our weeks was dedicated to living with a host family. I was extremely scared of living with another family due to personal history, but Professor Holley made sure I was safe, and secure. I am so glad I had the opportunity to live with a host family. I can’t stop bragging about them. I created a bond with them that can not be broken. We still talk almost everyday. My host family were two very loving newly weds who were expecting a baby. They took me under their wing, and made sure I was fed, safe, secured, and loved. They helped me over come my fears on being under a strangers roof. They were always so happy everyday. They loved waking up and going to work. They enjoyed walking me to the bus stop every morning. They didn’t complain about anything. They were very understanding people who didn’t hold grudges when people made them upset. They are the ones who made me open my eyes to things that should really matter to me. They gave me a different outlook on how life can be. Because of them I cherish myself more, my friends and family more, and just life more. I have went through tough situations throughout the years, and I had opened up to them about my situations, and they told me my life is to precious, and that I need to live a little more. I will never forget them and the lessons they have taught me. I appreciate everything they did.

The changes, and the transformations I have picked up on this trip are valuable to my life because it will help me in many ways as I grow up and become a adult. If I appreciate my life more it will push me to do great in school. To strive above, and beyond for high GPAs, and passing exams with flyings colors. Knowing what my life is worth will help me love myself more. It will help me to do things for myself sometimes, and not only for others. Being happy with my life, and myself can play a huge role into my future plans. I am not sure how they will impact them yet because I am unsure of my future plans, but I know the characteristics of loving your self, and loving your life always impacts something in a positive way.
Here is a link to my blog post I uploaded during my strip. I hope you enjoy! https://ohiostaterwanda.blogspot.com/2017/06/june-17th-2017.html

One thought on “STEP Education Aboard Rwanda

1. I am glad to see that your prospective of the country changed by your first meal! Throughout the years, I would be interested to hear how they have rebuilt after the genocide. I loved your statement about the country not needing your help. So many people think “less than” when it comes to others countries, lives and experiences. When, in essence, they are living fruitful and enjoyable lives.

It is wonderful to read about your change in prospective about family and life. Time is a precious gift in which you need to distribute as you wish.

I am glad to see that you felt better being engaged with others while you were abroad. This is a once and a life time experience. Wow, your host family sounds amazing. What an experience to live with them and it seems as if you truly did receive great life lessons and support.