Brzozowski Beyond Borders

Laura Brzozowski

Education Abroad

1. I traveled abroad to France, Spain, and Belgium with the France Beyond Borders program. I spent two and a half weeks learning about the land, culture, and people and how borders shape them.

2. During the course of my STEP project, I realized my own inner strength. I was very nervous about going abroad as I did not speak any of the country’s languages. I found that I could learn fairly quickly how to navigate public transportation, learn important phrases in the various languages, and take care of myself. I went through a journey of great self discovery that I was not expecting to undertake.

Throughout my project, I was able to see a different side of Europe. The group traveled to places that are not as well known or touristy such as Marseille, Toulouse, San Sebastion, Cassis, etc. I was given the chance to to speak with locals and hear their stories. As much as I loved visiting Paris and its many breathtaking museums, there is so much more to France. I was able to touch the crystal clear waters of Cassis, taste the delicious mussels of Marseille, and smell the famed violets of Toulouse. However, my favorite experience was on the Camino de Santiago where I was given time with my thoughts and the Spanish blue sky.

3. The Camino de Santiago (also knows as The Way of Saint James)  is a 500 mile long pilgrimage to the shrine of the apostle Saint James the Great in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain. We only did a very small 15 mile section of the trail. I was embarking on the Camino to mourn. My grandmother had died a year ago the same week the class was to walk the pilgrimage. She was my confidant and my best friend, and I still miss her terribly. I wasn’t looking for spiritual revelation or to suddenly “get over” her death, I simply wanted some time to think and perhaps even talk to her.

It took longer than I had anticipated to find some peace. The people around me were talking rather loudly and I felt like I wasn’t alone with my thoughts. For the first five miles, I awkwardly tried to get ahead of everyone and stumbled my way up and down the steep hills. When we made it to the top of the hill with the windmills, my mind started to relax. I wasn’t trying to find quiet time or forcing my mind to think about everything I wanted to think about, I was just letting myself be. It reminded me of a quote from Frederic Gros, “Walk alone, across mountains or through forests. You are nobody to the hills or thick boughs heavy with greenery. You are no longer a role, or a status, not even an individual, but a body, a body that feels sharp stones on the paths, the caress of long grass and the freshness of the wind,” (The Philosophy of Walking).

Another amazing experience was seeing a  unique city of Europe. I had dreamed about visiting France my entire life, so when we arrived in San Sebastian, I nearly forgot that France Beyond Borders was going to Spain as well. I was immediately swept up into a city filled with culture, life, history, and fun. Our view from the hotel was to die for (quite literally if you took the wrong step) and the city exploration deepened my understanding of the city’s love for the Basque language.

We met with City council woman Miren Azkarate who much enlightened me on the history and meaning of the Basque language. I had no idea there was a basic law on the standardization of the use of the Basque Language or a decree that regulates the use of the official languages in pre-university education in the Basque Country. The Basque language is very prevalent amongst the younger generation, over 60% of the students took the university entrance exam in Euskara and 48% of students enroll to study in Basque.

Our stop in San Sebastian allowed me to realize that there are languages within languages, something that isn’t prevalent where I live. The experience was very eye-opening.  From it’s gorgeous shoreline, friendly locals, delicious tapas, and rich culture, San Sebastian has stolen my heart.

4. Ignorance is poison that runs through the veins of the modern world. I think it is very important that to become an effective member of society and overall a good human being is to always keep learning about the world around you. There is no one right way to live or look. I aspire to become a global engineer, in order to do so I must have a deep understanding of other people and their cultures.

I will take the lessons I have learned and the beautiful places I’ve seen wherever I go in life. The antidote to ignorance is knowledge. I can move forward with a confidence in myself to take on the world and continue to learn all that I can, whether that be in the classroom at Ohio State, or exploring a new corner of the world. Unfortunately for me, I’ve caught the traveling bug and I want to keep exploring. The world seems so much bigger and I cannot wait to see more of it.