MUNDO 2017 Multicultural Histories and Legacies of Rome and London program

I participated in MUNDO 2017 Multicultural Histories and Legacies of Rome and London program with another 23 OSU students. We mainly travelled to different historic sites in Rome and London, talked to different religious groups, and did some community services.

First of all, traveling in Rome and London gave me many new insights toward culture differences. In this program, we first discussed cultural differences through a spring semester course required by the program, and then experienced those cultural shocks personally. We made comparisons between America and Europe, Rome and London, and even the different cultural groups within these diverse cities. We found that some cultural differences such as how to take buses, how to order food, how to use the bathroom and even how to cross the street sometimes troubled us. Within these cultural differences I found situations where I was part of the agent group, the dominant group, and situations where I was in the target group, the inferior group. These situations allowed me to learn more about multiple and complex identities which in turn gave me opportunities to know myself better.

As the only Chinese student in this trip, though I have already studied in the US for two years, I was still shocked by some viewpoints held by most Americans in my group. For example, at the Pompeii in Italy, we encountered a group of sellers who tried so hard to sell their goods that made most of people in my trip uncomfortable. More specifically, if you showed any interested in their shops, they would never let you go easily. They patted you back, and sometimes even dragged your arms. However, I felt that they did those things were not due to any bad intention. They were just over enthusiasm in selling their goods to make money. However, we had a heated debate over this experience. Most Americans in my group regarded this incidence as sexual assaulting. I myself did feel uncomfortable, but I did not think it was such a big deal. Through discussion with my group members, we realized some cultural differences between the U.S. and China, and between the U.S. and Italy. In Italy, our instructor told us, it was totally fine for body touching. The same was also true in China. However, America is an individualistic country. Most Americans value privacy most. They feel that strangers are no way allowed to touch their body without asking for permissions.

Moreover, during our trip, terrorists attacked one theater in London. Coincidently, we planned to talk to Muslim people on the next day of the terrorism attack. About half of students in my group decided not to go to the Muslim place. Some claimed that their parents worried about their safety, and some simply claimed that they needed good rests. Afterwards, we had a specific discussion about this incidence. Through conversation, I realized that as tourists, we had this privilege to choose to avoid some places. But local London people have not. We were in the agent group, the dominant group, in this sense. Recognizing privilege is the first step of realizing potential hierarchy. Only by realizing some latent hierarchy can we actually start doing something to reduce such inequity existing unconsciously.

To be honest, at the beginning I sometimes felt lonely and excluded out by other students. People in this trip formed small groups during first week. But I was unable to find my group. Even though everyone in this trip treated me nicely, I felt they did not regard me as their real friends. They were just nice to people naturally. I simply did not know what I could do to change this situation. I hence did not do anything. I dined alone, went shopping alone, and hardly talked to other people in my trip. Nonetheless, one incidence changed my attitude. On our last day in Rome, I went to a Chinese restaurant on my own. However, when I checked out, the Chinese restaurant informed me that they did not take credit cards. But I did not have enough Euros left. I was so embarrassed and did not know what to do. I then sent out a GroupMe message to see if anyone was willing to help me. To be frank, at first I only expected that one of our instructors could see my message and came to help me out. Surprisingly, one American in my trip replied immediately. She asked me where I was and she run to the Chinese restaurant with another American. They helped me with paying for the meal. I was so moved. If this is not called friendship, what else can friendship be? I then realized that I was too sensitive during my first week. I started to talk to Americans in my trip voluntarily, and realized a fact that actually they all wanted to be my friends but they were just like me: they were afraid or did not know how to start a conversation. At the end of this trip, I eventually found my group and became very good friends with several Americans.

After this trip, the best lesson I learned is about myself, including all the potential privileges I have, how to make friends and how to accept cultural shocks. I know myself much better after this trip. I am really glad that I chose this program. I will recommend this program to my friends.