European Architectural Studies

Vierwaldstatter See, Lucerne, Switzerland

My STEP Signature Program was the European Architectural Studies Program, offered through the Knowlton School of Architecture. During the month of May 34 students and I embarked on one of the most life changing journeys of our lives. Traveling throughout dozens of cities in Czech Republic, Switzerland, Germany, Italy and Austria, we gained an incredible amount of knowledge pertaining to the architectural sites we’ve studied in class. During our time abroad we were able to gain a greater knowledge of each building we visited through experiencing key elements like site relation, architectural promenade, scale and lighting effects, in person. As the focus of our trip was on the architecture, each student was responsible to research five buildings and give a presentation during the actual site visit. Sketching was the main learning tool on our trip, in which we were able to record our thoughts and visual understandings of each space in person.

Prior to the start of my STEP Signature Program, I had many assumptions of myself, the program and the world I was about to see. Throughout my travels, however, much of my prior understanding of the world, myself and America changed. The main worry I had before my program was the fact that I would be traveling alone. Though I traveled with a small group of students also in my program, I still had to take on a higher level of independence and responsibility than ever before. Through this program I gained the knowledge and independence I need to travel alone in the future and am no longer frightened by the task.

My assumptions of America and Europe changed while studying abroad as well. I realized that I’ve only ever know the opinions about America from Americans, but no one else. It made me realize that America is in fact not superior in all that it’s said to be. The main thing that blew me away in Europe is their incredible efforts towards sustainability. They practice sustainability on large scales like powering their cities with the hundreds of windmills and solar panels I witnessed throughout each country, and on small scales where grocery stores make you pay for bags, encouraging you to bring your own reusable tote. There is also an incredible effort to keep their cities clean which is something I was not expecting. A common “myth” I heard time and time again was how dirty everything in Europe is. This reigned untrue, even with the lack of garbage cans on the streets, the cities remained impressively clean.

View from top of the Duomo, Basilica of Saint Mary of the Flower, Florence, Italy

Through Knowlton, the European Architectural Studies trip has been led by Professor Gargus for 10+ years and is a highly recommended and encourage program throughout the students and staff of the school. Having Professor Gargus as a teacher prior to the trip, I already understood the unbelievable amount of knowledge she has on the buildings she lectured. Having her as a teacher of a lecture with 100+ students, I did not know her on a personal level; nor did I know Professor Livesey who is the Architecture Department Head at Knowlton. With such impressive and high up staff leading the trip I was nervous to meet them. These nerves were completely diminished soon into the trip as these professors became close mentors and staff I now feel comfortable reaching out too. I hadn’t expected to gain such personal relationships before the program, and I am glad that I did. The trip also helped connect a large range of students in Knowlton. Being a sophomore, I was part of the youngest class of the group, which was mostly made up of rising seniors and grad students. I am lucky to have gained new relationships with older students of Knowlton as they have become mentors for my remaining undergrad career.

As an architecture student, our major way of expression is through visual art: sketching, drawing, drafting, and modeling. We use visual graphics to create, understand and portray projects and ideas. Sketching was one of our main focuses on the trip. Sketching allowed us the chance to record our feelings and thoughts about the site and its components while recording the details of the buildings in front of us. Prior to the program I had never truly sketched before, so I was nervous but eager to start. Our Professors and graduate teaching assistants lent help and advice of how to create sketches that reveal what you are trying to say. I gained an incredibly useful and important tool on this trip and a souvenir, as I will keep my sketchbook forever as a reminder of the time I had.

My time abroad opened my eyes to a major difference between America and Europe. In America we are prone to the task at hand, trying effortlessly to get it done in a hurry, only to start the next task. This also means multitasking on the go, phone in hand, head down, dodging people on the sidewalk as you hurry to your next destination. Meals are rushed, often insignificant and rather lonely. In Europe, however, socialization is not an effort made but rather a natural interaction. You can walk down the street and see people huddled around tables, sipping coffee and enjoying the presence of each other. Never do you see cellphones out, but instead people making eye contact and communicating face-to-face. Meals are events in which you take your time and enjoy your family and friends, often spending hours in the restaurants. It was eye opening to see how focused Americans are on technology instead of the world around us. In Europe, I quickly adapted to their way of life, often leaving my phone out of site all day so that I, too, could fully experience the city and people around me.

Sketching at Schlosspark Nymphenburg

My STEP Signature Program left me with multiple things that I want to work on to better myself; one, I want to continue traveling and experiencing the world, two, I want to learn more about the cultural and political views of places other than America, three, I want to make any effort I can towards living a more sustainable life, four, I want to continue sketching and analyzing the architectural world around me, and five, I want to make an effort to exist more in the present and to appreciate my company and surroundings. Though I went to Europe to study Architecture, I learned about culture, transportation, sustainability, communication and so much more. This program taught me more than I ever expected to learn in a month, things not only about the world and architecture, but about myself. This eye opening experience has left me with the urge to travel more, improve myself, continue learning and to live a more present life. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity STEP gave me and will forever be thankful.

One thought on “European Architectural Studies

1. It’s refreshing to hear that this experience enhanced your self-confidence and independence! I’m also glad to hear you developed meaningful relationships with faculty members. Finally, it’s awesome that you have identified new goals following this trip, including enhanced sustainability and understandings of different culture!