Operations Global Lab China (STEP Abroad 2017)

Education Abroad in Hong Kong and Shanghai, China
1. Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project.
Write two or three sentences describing the main activities your STEP Signature Project
entailed.

My STEP Signature Project was to participate in Fisher’s Operations Global Lab, which provides Fisher students a unique opportunity to see operations from a global perspective in China during visits to both manufacturing and service facilities. We also went on excursions to sites throughout Hong Kong, Shanghai, Suzhou, and Hang Zhou that are of historic and cultural significance.

2. What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your
view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP Signature Project? Write one or two paragraphs to describe the change or transformation that took place.

I was fortunate to travel to China my senior year of high school, so to have the opportunity to travel back with that experience behind me made this trip even more valuable because I had a better idea of what to expect culturally (and was more prepared for squatting toilets and a lack of forks and knives). My biggest transformation of the trip came thanks to the diversity and openness of the group we traveled with. A lot of our group was from Cleveland (my home city), but four girls in our group had either grown up or had close family ties in China, Africa, the Philippines, and Mexico. Learning from their experiences in high school and at OSU changed the way that I view my relationships, and our very honest conversations about living in today’s America gave me a new perspective.

3. What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP
Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in#2, and how did those affect you? Write three or four paragraphs describing the key aspects of your experiences completing your STEP Signature Project that led to this change/transformation.

My most impactful event of the trip as a whole occurred when we were in Hangzhou. It sums up what I mentioned before about changing the way I view our country. The day in Hangzhou had some awkward points when locals were following or taking pictures of us without our consent and that experience put me in a slightly irritable mood, but when we got to the West Lake and decided to take a boat tour, the afternoon took a pleasant turn. Collin, Patrick, Yu, and I were in one boat and we ended up having a pretty powerful conversation about Chinese culture and Yu’s experience at OSU.

Talking about interactions between domestic and international students, as well as dating someone from a different culture were two of the topics we discussed. My perspective having a Chinese minor means that I know a decent amount about modern Chinese history and cultural norms. That being said, sometimes it is hard to tell how the impact of the Cultural Revolution is felt by China’s millennial population. Growing up in China with less diversity and freedom of speech than what we experience in the US surely has an impact, but I always go back to a comment my high school principal made during our trip to China. He said kids are kids everywhere. As we grow up societal differences and biases become more apparent, but for the most part my belief is that coming of age and things that people our age are concerned with are similar in a lot of places regardless of our geographic location. We worry about making our parents proud, picking the right job, and finding a significant other- all while trying to decide who we are in this world.

It’s a little crazy that I ended up all the way in Hangzhou, China before I had a deep and very honest conversation like this with an international student, when I have been at OSU for 3 years and had classes with countless international students. It made me realize that even though I claim to be so interested in Chinese culture and learning from our international students, I haven’t really put forth an effort to get to know Chinese students in my classes on a more personal level. That day empowered me to put more effort into speaking Chinese when I am home and on campus, and I hope to join a student organization that will allow me to form new relationships with Chinese students at Ohio State.

4. Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your life?
Write one or two paragraphs discussing why this change or development matters and/or relates to your academic, personal, and/or professional goals and future plans.
     I am working for Procter & Gamble this summer in their supply chain, and I hope to continue my career working in a global role at some point in my life. Whether it be in Asia or anywhere else, I feel like this trip was my test to decide for myself the answer to the “would I live here” question. I can say that I would live in China for a time, and would love to raise a family and give my children the opportunity to live abroad at some point during their youth. Talking to expatriates about their experiences moving with a family or leaving a family back in the US made the prospect of an international career feel much more real.
     Ultimately, I would say that although I am fortunate to have parents who value travel and gaining worldly experiences, one of the few ways I think I can make an even better life for my future kids would be to expose them to more cultures in a fully immersed way. Being a career oriented woman who wants to one day have a family means I have a lot of tough choices ahead of me, but I feel blessed to have these opportunities and plan to make the most out of what is available to me.
Picture to Left: We saw a lot of couples taking wedding pictures during our Hangzhou trip, and also at a lot of other locations while in China. I loved seeing how some brides chose the traditional red Chinese wedding dress, or a white western style dress (often brides choose to wear both). This to me is a perfect example of the multicultural mindset of many young Chinese people. They have grown up seeing western movies and fashion, and adopt some styles while maintaining their own individuality and cultural identity.
Right Picture: members of our group in one of the small motor boats we rented for an hour to explore the Hangzhou lake.