Tropical Ecology Study in Panama

1.I chose to study abroad for my STEP Signature Project. I participated in a two week long class in Gamboa, Panama. We learned about the tropical ecology in the rain forest through “hands-on” experiences like hiking, museums, kayak tours, bird watching, canopy tours and many other fun, diverse experiences. The final project of the trip was to design and carry out a tropical research project in our time in Panama.

2. This project was the most transitional for me on a personal, inner level. I learned the most about myself when I was on this trip. I was dropped off at the Columbus Airport with 17 people I had only met two other times and I was leaving the country by myself for the first time in my life. The region I was visiting is known for dangerous diseases, unrelenting mosquitoes, tropical diseases and constant rain showers. I was absolutely terrified but also extremely excited. Going to Panama involved me stepping way out of my comfort zone and I ended up having an amazing time. I learned that if I am pushed out of my comfort zone I will in fact succeed. I also went  on a trip studying a field of biology that I didn’t know a lot about. My major is Biology but my focus is medicine so I don’t take a lot of ecology classes and the coursework was very difficult for me. This trip was transitional for me because it challenged me both personally and academically.

3. Before the trip even started we had to attend a couple meetings that not only went over the study abroad requirements but also went over material we need to know and should know. These lectures were a tad overwhelming for me because I had a very minimal background on Ecology. I also didn’t have any room in my schedule to take the required prerequisites so I had to do some reading an fly solo. The trip was challenging before it even started. I also didn’t really meet anyone in the meetings because I am shy around people I don’t know and they were always in the middle of the week when I had a million other things on my mind. We also had to do a solo, theoretical research proposal on a tropical animal of our choice and the background information was a paper we had to write before leaving the country. I had never written and ecological paper before and who would have thought it was different than a normal research paper. I was also preparing to travel to a country I had never been to before. I had to get certain vaccinations and hiking gear and brush up on my Spanish. The weeks leading up to my trip were full of excitement but also nerves because I was getting ready to do something somewhat terrifying.

The day of the departure I got dropped off at the airport with 17 people I hardly knew and a suitcase, a backpack and a rain jacket. It took me a couple of days to really start talking to people and getting to know everyone. The first couple days were really hard. I was lonely, in a brand new place, the weather was nothing I was used to and the bugs were terrible. I know I am a social person but only with people I am comfortable with. Around the third day I finally started talking to people one night and before I knew it I was laughing and having a great time with my new friends. I ended up having a fabulous time in Panama and I know that a large part of that was because of the people I met. I am still in touch with a couple of the people I got super close to and I know I will remain friends with them. I was so worried about traveling with people I didn’t know but I challenged myself and ended up having a fabulous time and loving all of it.

I must admit, before this trip I did not have a large appreciation for the rain forest but after spending two weeks submerged in it I understand its vast importance in the world ecosystem. The rain forest is so diverse on so many levels and we got to experience this in many ways. We got to gaze out over the whole forest as we watched birds during sunrise on a large viewing tower. Another day we were submerged in the canopy level on a crane and got to see a sloth up close. We also had many tour guides that are native to the area and took us through the jungle through their experienced point of view. One day we went kayaking on Lake Gatun and got to see the aquatic systems. We also went to countless museums that explained the history of the rain forest, the fossils, and also things we wouldn’t typically see like the elusive big cats or reptiles. The rain forest houses so many unique species found no where else and it is crucial to biodiversity and also gas exchange in the environment. Walking around and seeing trash along the trails broke my heart more and more the longer I was there. You’re always told “don’t litter”, “save the rain forest”, “deforestation is bad” but until you are there in the jungle looking at a coke can among one of the largest trees in the rain forest, you don’t really grasp the size of the problem. In all of my classmates animal projects there was a common theme that deforestation is a threat to the species. This trip transformed my view on preserving the ecosystems. I learned so much in two weeks and it really influenced the opinion I had on ecology.

4. I value the change I made by stepping out of my comfort zone and stepping into an airport of people I didn’t know. That particular transformation will help me personally in the future because it will be easier for me to push myself and meet new people since it was so successful in Panama. It will also have an affect on how I act in professional situations like interviews because I will be more personable and open on first encounters. The transformation will help me academically because I have a newfound appreciation for the study of Ecology. While I complete my Biology major, I will not be so quick to ignore Ecology because as I learned it has a large impact on all of our lives and it is extremely crucial for biodiversity. I want to incorporate sustainability into my future career. I am not sure how to do it yet but this project planted the idea in my head and also built connections I can use to fulfill this goal. Many of the students I traveled with will have futures in the environment, sustainability, and ecology. They are friends of mine that I plan to keep in contact with and I know they will be more than happy to bounce ideas with me. This trip helped me get out of my comfort zone and explore new experiences. It also gave me a wider understanding of the importance of the rain forest and just how complex it is. Studying in Panama is an experience I know I will remember forever and I am so happy I was given the opportunity.

Lookout Point in Campana, Panama

OHIO! Lookout Point in Campana, Panama