International Internship Panel

Event: International Internship Panel

Type: Professional Development

Location: Glass Classroom of Smith-Steeb

Date: Monday, September 9

Firstly, I would like to suggest that this event (if put on in the future) should use a sign up prior to the even in case it gets a similar turnout to this year. It was packed! I went down the elevator and while I still arrived a few minutes before the panel was supposed to start, I had to grab a seat on the floor and other people were in even worse spots by the end. I went with Sarah, the girl across the hall from me who I’m becoming good friends with, and out butts hurt a lot by the end. Other than uncomfortable seating, the panel was awesome!

I don’t think I realized that it was possible to even do internships internationally, but hearing about Portugal, France, and Canada as destinations to live and work while still being in my college years was exhilarating! Honestly, listening to kids who could potentially be me speaking in a few years motivated me. I think that I’ll look into internships, maybe even for this upcoming summer, and I hope to find an affordable one in another country that would give me a lot of good experience. I’d prefer to go to a Spanish speaking country, because Spanish is my major, however, I would enjoy being in Portugal or Brazil, too, because I started taking Portuguese! Honestly, I’d have an amazing experience in any country, but if I could practice the languages I’m studying, then it would be just that much better!

Considering IA Scholars deals with international topics, I think this event was perfect for the program, which is probably why the event had so many attendees. I hope there are more events similar to this in the future.