My First Semester at OSU

I had very mixed feelings about moving into Ohio State in the late summer of 2019. I didn’t want to leave the comfort of Western Pennsylvania, where I’d lived all my life. I was worried about my major, and whether or not I’d actually enjoy the work. I didn’t want to live with another person, and was worried about finding a group of friends in a school of 50,000 students. In hindsight, it’s funny how these fears were dispelled over the course of a semester.

While I was very used to living just outside of Pittsburgh, the three hour drive to Columbus didn’t change too much of what I loved most about home. Over the course of the semester, I got used to Columbus, and even though I didn’t think it would happen, it became like a second home for me. As far as my major goes, I have changed my mind about what I want to do so many times I lost count. However, this has taught me that I can’t know everything in the present, and sometimes I just need to go with the flow. I have landed on double majoring in English and Economics, and thus far I’ve found a lot of joy in pursuing those two fields. As far as my roommate situation is concerned, I don’t think the Ohio State roommate algorithm could have done a better job. Despite our vastly different appearances, my roommate and I share many similar interests, and I’m extremely glad that I get to live with him, and call him my friend. Aside from my roommate, however, making friends didn’t pose as daunting of a challenge as I initially believed. After trying to join multiple clubs across campus, I was fortunate enough to receive a bid from the Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity. Since then, the members of this organization have become my second family, and I’m truly blessed to call them my friends. They made my transition to college significantly easier, and have made my first semester far more fun and bearable. All in all, I am really enjoying my first semester at Ohio State, and am lucky enough to have had all of my initial fears dispelled.