Summer After Your First Year: Summer Enrichment Program

The summer enrichment program is the key component of SpringForward.

“It helped me to stay on track with my courses and gave me a safety net when I strayed a little. I was always able to meet with an entire team of people and each person I met with showed concern and a level of involvement that is difficult with a campus as large as OSU.” — Summer 2020 participant

SpringForward sponsors an enrichment program for Columbus campus students after they complete their first year at Ohio State. In typical years, this is a residential program held in 8 week Session 2. Students move to campus in late May and attend classes in person. In Summer 2020, the program was completely virtual due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

What is the purpose of the summer program?

The summer program helps students continue to build their academic skills and resiliency. As a result of participating in the summer enrichment program, students will:

• Develop academic and personal skills to support their college success
  • Better understand themselves and their goals
  • Strengthen their connections to Ohio State and its resources

This program is intended to help you:

• Raise your cumulative GPA
  • Attain good academic standing with the university and your major program
  • Self-correct your SAP for financial aid (if needed)
  • Identify the major that is the right fit for you and make progress towards a degree
  • Learn additional strategies for success that you can use in college and beyond
  • Find your place at Ohio State

What do program participants do during the summer term?

• Enroll in and successfully complete up to 6 hours of academic credit (usually 2 GE classes)
  • Participate in the SpringForward academic support course, ESEPSY 5193
  • Meet with Dennis Learning Center coaches for 1:1 academic success support
  • Attend social and community-building events (examples from 2020: yoga, cooking class, craft night, movie night, lunchtime social)
  • Meet regularly with the SpringForward professional staff for advising, professional, and personal support
  • Meet at least once with your assigned Academic Advisor in your major to discuss your major progress and time-to-degree
  • Learn/review Buckeyelink policies (such as SAP) and utilize a direct connection in Buckeyelink

In 2020, the program ran from June 9 – July 31 (8 week Session 2). Due to COVID-19, students took online classes and connected with the SpringForward program virtually through Zoom and Carmen. Students met virtually 3 times with members of the SpringForward staff and 4 times with a Dennis Learning Center coach. Students also met virtually with each other via Zoom through weekly break-out sessions and optional social activities.

What topics are covered in the summer program?

Here are examples of topics covered in the summer curriculum (ESEPSY 5193):

• Growth mindset
  • Finding your academic passion
  • Being open to change and uncertainty
  • Preparing for your major (and/or changing your major)
  • 9 dimensions of wellness and taking care of yourself
  • Finding your place at Ohio State and developing a sense of belonging
  • Understanding and navigating your finances and financial aid

Watch Summer 2020 participant Carter Krannitz share his experience in the summer program.

What are the incentives for participating in the program?

• For Ohio residents, SpringForward provides: payment of tuition and fees for up to 6 credit hours of GEs and for our enrichment course, ESEPSY 5193; on-campus housing and a meal stipend; a book stipend; academic coaching; supplemental programming; and community-building activities.
  • If you are not an Ohio resident, you may still apply to participate in the program, but you will be responsible for covering the cost of the out-of-state surcharge on your own.
  • International students, transfer students, and campus changers are not currently eligible for the summer program.

Since the program was virtual in Summer 2020, SpringForward did not cover housing and meals for students. Instead, students were given the opportunity to earn a Success Scholarship for Autumn 2020.

What do students say about participating in the summer enrichment program?

“I believe this [program] really serves students and helps empower them forward. I felt there was a lot of opportunity to grow academically.”

“Being understood is such a good feeling. I loved the transparency and connections I built with my professors and advisors. Alongside that, it also felt great getting my life back together.”

“I am glad I participated in this program both for my grade and for my mental health.”

“I felt like every lecture gave me new knowledge and a new way to approach different aspects of my life.”

9 out of 10 Summer 2020 participants strongly recommend the SpringForward program to others.