Biology 4798, Scientific Roots in Europe

On October 8th I attended the “Biology 4798, Scientific Roots in Europe” Event, which is a study abroad program. I am not that interested in studying abroad, I was just curious about this particular program, since I am European.

The Scientific Roots in Europe program offers an opportunity for students to study science in a cross-cultural setting. The on-campus spring semester course is intended to give students a deeper understanding of the context in which significant discovery in the biological sciences occurred and continues to occur in England and France. In addition, students will further develop their skills in research and in oral and/or written presentations, and they will experience a different but comfortably accessible culture in London and Paris as the class visits sites discussed during the term. Students will research and discuss topics relevant to the history of biology, including the Royal Society, HMS Endeavour, Sir Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Kew Gardens and Cambridge University. After the first half of spring semester in Columbus, the group will spend spring break visiting traditional sites of historical and scientific significance such as the British Museum, Down House, the Muséum national d’Histoire naturelle and other locations corresponding to the course topics. The course will resume after spring break and students will process their experience and complete a final project.

Travel Schedule:

• Friday, March 6, 2020 (morning) Depart Columbus for London Heathrow airport
  • Saturday, March 7 Guided London walking tour and visit to Westminster Abbey; afternoon visits to British Museum and London Eye or Sky Garden
  • Sunday, March 8 Visit to Down House/Darwin Museum and tour of the village and cemetery
  • Monday, March 9 Guided tour of British Royal Society [free afternoon and evening]
  • Tuesday, March 10 Eurostar and local trains from London to Arbois, France
  • Wednesday, March 11 Guided walking tour of Arbois; Musée d’Art; Louis Pasteur’s House
  • Thursday, March 12 Train to Paris, Walking tour of Paris hotel neighborhood; Musée des Arts Métiers
  • Friday, March 13 Galerie de Paléontologie et d’Anatomie Comparée, Jardin des Plantes, Ménagerie, and associated resources; afternoon visit to Eiffel Tower
  • Saturday, March 14 Free Day
  • Sunday,March 15 Depart Paris Charles de Gaulle airport for Columbus (evening arrival)

Thanks to this informational session, It became a bit more clear how studying abroad works, but I do not think I am interested in studying abroad anymore. It is not because this session was bad, it is simply because I lived in Europe for 18 years, so I have already gained experience about how schools are in other countries. It might be interesting to study abroad on other continents where I have never been before, but I already have a lot on my plate, so I cannot really fit studying abroad into my schedule. My dream career is being a dentist in the U.S. Air Force, so I might have a chance to travel around the world!

References: Biology 4798 Informational Session Handout